Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pentium D 3.0Ghz Processor Overheating  (Read 10615 times)

JeremyJohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    Re: Pentium D 3.0Ghz Processor Overheating
    « Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
    if your CPU is reaching 120c, there is a high chance that there will be permanent damage. (did you mean c or f?)
    Erm "C".

Sounds to me like you might need to reapply thermal paste if you discovered the heatsink was not fastened securely.
    I'm not so sure if my CPU has thermal paste.   ???

Well here's something to try.

Completely remove the fan, Heatsink (presume it's a desktop) and clean them using a vacuum, or high volume air canister. remove dust and try letting the CPU cool down till you can almost touch it... if the CPU is generating that much heat I'd get oven gloves and completely remove it (make sure you don't put it on anything that will contain static electricity) and leave it to cool down. once it is cool enough to touch (20-30C) then try re-installing CPU, heatsink and fan. and boot. If the same problem occurs I'd consider buying a new CPU?

Merlyn

P.S: Don't forget to remove dust ;)

I tried removing the fan but i cant, I'm not quite sure how to remove it...
    I'm not very good with removing main CPU hardware.
    If you can teach me I'll try do i have to un-screw the whole MOBO to remove the fan ???

Here some picture of the FAN it's not really dusty but there u go:
    http://img535.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=image001vm.jpg

Another thing when i said that the temp was increasing fast but the CPU was cold like ice.  :o

When it was working at my old house i usually open the casing and put a stand fan, the temp will be like 85-95C -  is that normal?

My country temp outside is about 30C+ indoor is less.

Do you guys think the Thermometer for the CPU is spoil?

HERE'S THE VIDEO OF IT HEATING UP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUpbjzIOfE&feature=PlayList&p=AE202DE6E0A1CB36&playnext_from=PL

HERE'S A VIDEO OF MY MOBO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZyhSiwOBqw&feature=PlayList&p=AE202DE6E0A1CB36&playnext_from=PL

*sorry for the blur in the recording, my mobile phone camera is abit spoil ::)
    Jeremy John

Merlyn

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
    Sorry for the late reply, i am at College at the moment, when i get home i will try and see if i can look at those video's (probably 5pm today) it's 8:38am right now... Sorry for making you wait... ]

Could be that the diode that reads temperature is fried (but it runs the other CPU fine???)... Do you have another motherboard to try it on?

If you are trying to remove the fan try looking for little clips they're usually hiding somewhere within the set-up. (i can't look at the pics or videos at college, Proxy won't allow)

Merlyn

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
    1.  Another thing when i said that the temp was increasing fast but the CPU was cold like ice.  :o
    2.  When it was working at my old house i usually open the casing and put a stand fan, the temp will be like 85-95C -  is that normal?
    3.  Do you guys think the Thermometer for the CPU is spoil?..
    1.  Are you sure the CPU fan is spinning?
    2.  Not normal.
    3.  No.

JeremyJohn

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »
      Sorry for the late reply, i am at College at the moment, when i get home i will try and see if i can look at those video's (probably 5pm today) it's 8:38am right now... Sorry for making you wait... ]
      No Problem, I myself was bit busy :)

Could be that the diode that reads temperature is fried (but it runs the other CPU fine???)... Do you have another motherboard to try it on?
      Nope, i which i could try it on this PC I'm using now but it's an old Pentium 3 and the motherboard is an old type.

1.  Are you sure the CPU fan is spinning?
      Yes it's spinning like normal.
      This same video show the RPM:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUpbjzIOfE&feature=PlayList&p=AE202DE6E0A1CB36&playnext_from=PL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I manage to remove the fan and clean it, I also saw the thermal paste there:
      http://img9.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=image011ux.jpg
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4K70M3_smQ

Here's some history i should let u guys know:

1. The 1st time i got this PC it came with windows vista but i wanted windows XP... so my cousin helped me to format the PC and at that time he was also checking the temperature he notice there was something wrong with it, i think it was giving a wrong reading so then he adjusted something then it when back to normal.

2. About a few months ago that PC got hit by a very serious virus i could not start any windows with internet the virus will just keep on infecting all the main windows file and my avg will keep on notifying me so i just off it.
      Then i decided to clean it before i ask my cousin to help me to format the PC, so i clean all the fans and clean the dust of the motherboard but i made one mistake which now i know i removed the processor fan clip so i think that time the thermal paste separated already but i did not remove the fan.

3.After my major format (^NO.2 above^) i call it major because i had to wipe the whole HDD and repartition it because of that *censored* virus.
      Then after reinstalling windows and the my programs.. now there was a real different with the computer, like:
      A. When opening a folder while playing music suddenly my music will just start jamming like on hold mode then after the folder is opened then it will continue playing smoothly.
      B. If you guys CS aka counter strike 1.6 then u will know there's a menu when u press "H" whenever i press that in game the whole game will hang(freeze up) for 6-9 sec then only continue working.
      C. When i open all my games after say 30min-1.5hr depending on the game the game graphic will become very laggy and then my processor fan will start blowing out hot air really hot air with my stand fan directly at it also and the casing open.

Here's the list of game i played with that PC:
      BLACKSHOT <<<< this games takes 30min to lag and is the worst to lag the fps would be like 15and below imagine that  :-[
      COUNTER STRIKE 1.6
      WARCRAFT 3(for DOTA)
      SUDDEN ATTACK
      NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2
      Before the major format i could play blackshot for 15hrs+ non stop....  :(

BTW: i don't  have a GC i run all that game with inbuilt GC

Imagine this PC the want I'm using now can run COUNTER STRIKE 1.6, WARCRAFT 3 & NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND 2 with no lag and guess what it's an Pentium 3!
      It's so shame full my Pentium D became a Pentium 0.66 after formatting it :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK so now i have clean the fan and the PC i have also put back the CPU fan with no thermal paste but the old thermal paste is still there.

So is it SAFE for me to on it now ???
      I just on it and its still the same the temperature when up to 108c but when i put i hand near the fan it was cold then i offed it.

BTW the processor suppose to blow to the processor or suck out?
      Because when i put my hand near it it felt like it was blowing to the processor...
      Last time it felt like it was suck out from the processor.

Very strange, do u guys think my power supply unit is spoiled and giving out an opposite charge?

I'm starting to think that what merlyn said the: diode that reads temperature is fried
      If it's fried how do i change it or do i have to get a whole new motherboard?

My current mother board is: Intel D946GZis

Thanks
      « Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:04:02 AM by JeremyJohn »
      Jeremy John