Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Accessing thumb drive  (Read 5009 times)

Solar Dude

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Accessing thumb drive
    « on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:30 PM »
    How do I change from looking at the computer's hard drive to a USB thumb drive?  Tried Mount but that did not work.  Follow-up question--how do I identify the thumb drive's drive letter?  Thanks

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Accessing thumb drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
    Usually a thumbdrive is named a Removable Storage or a name by the Brand of the Thumb drive. If you want to see the actual, try opening up My Computer(windows explorer), then insert the Thumb drive on the usb port. When or if the usb is recognized/read then it will appear on Windows Explorer along with your other drives such as DVD/CD drive or Hard drive. USB inserted could also appear w/out Windows explorer with a Windows Prompt whether you want to open USB files or documents, Play music or movies(if there are music/movie contents) on installed media software.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
    What version of linux?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Solar Dude

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
      Arch Linux

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:18 AM »
      Arch Linux

to my knowledge, No version of Linux refers to drives via drive letters; usually it's something like /dev/sda or /dev/usb1 and so forth.

I installed Arch to a VM here but was unable to get a desktop environment installed (something wrong with my repository setup, so pacman couldn't update or install anything).

I tried a few things in the terminal but to no avail; I was able to "see" the USB drive via ls /dev/disk/by-label but was unsure how to mount it. (mount /dev/disk/by-label/CRUZER was my first try, that failed).

Since you probably have a desktop environment, and since that environment is probably similar to other windowing environments, you generally access USB drives via the left hand pane of your distros file explorer. (Nautilus is one example, Dolphin is another)
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »
      I have never tried Linux Arch but I have Ubuntu 10.04LTS installed as a VM in VMware Player.  A flash drive is recognized by Ubuntu upon being connected to the computer.