Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scientists-warn-of-superstorm heading for California  (Read 13378 times)

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: scientists-warn-of-superstorm heading for California
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
all they are trying to do is let the people imagine the sheer size of it , they could not say a pool of water is heading south.

i dont know if you get the tv pictures of the devastation but its very bad

i have had my garage flooded twice with storms and the mess took weeks to clean and dry out and i lost all my tools and equipment etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:33:05 PM by harry 48 »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
they could not say a pool of water is heading south.

Why not ? ?

I'll say it right now..." A pool of water is heading South"...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
all they are trying to do is let the people imagine the sheer size of it , they could not say a pool of water is heading south.
That doesn't make it less of a metaphor.

i dont know if you get the tv pictures of the devastation but its very bad
irrelevant. Wether the devastation is bad or not does not make a difference, it's not a lake.
i have had my garage flooded twice with storms and the mess took weeks to clean and dry out and i lost all my tools and equipment etc.
Also redundant. What you've lost  due to storms (you're not even talking about actual floods anymore, just storms?) or how many tools you lost has nothing to do with the floods they are having now and even less to do with the fact that the water that rises as a result of a flood is no more called a lake then if a water main burst and filled an intersection with water.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
That doesn't make it less of a metaphor.

is that an animal

quote:- it's not a lake.

an expanse of water entirely surrounded by land

quote:- a flood is no more called a lake than if a water main burst and filled an intersection with water.

thats called hard luck

i lost my gear by a flood due to the storm

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Wow. Just... wow.

i'm glad you like it  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »
A pool of water is heading South"...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
Pool? Media says it is a Wall of Water. In Australia..
Australia is Flooding
Post by foxfire on Jan 1, 2011, 10:05am
Nature is so cruel... :'(
We have just recovered from the worst drought in history.
There were entire towns with no water to drink, no water for anything.
Now we have floods like you would not believe. QLD in the north east of Aus has 38 regions and 300,000 sq miles flooded, and once again some towns have little drinking water. There are about 1,000 people living in evacuation centers

So therefor if such a rare unexpected flood could happen down under, then we might conclude that such a thing in California is more that just possible.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
So therefor if such a rare unexpected flood could happen down under, then we might conclude that such a thing in California is more that just possible.

your apophenia is getting worse.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 09:04:40 PM »
your apophenia is getting worse.
Apophenia is the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad,[1] who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness".
In statistics, apophenia would be classed as a type I error (false positive, false alarm, caused by an excess in sensitivity).[citation needed]
Conrad originally described this phenomenon in relation to the distortion of reality present in psychosis, but it has become more widely used to describe this tendency in healthy individuals without necessarily implying the presence of neurological differences or mental illness.
In 2008 Michael Shermer coined the word 'patternicity', defining it as "the tendency to find meaningful patterns in meaningless noise."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
No, my apophenia is the same. The meaningless events have increased, which causes normal people to display symptoms of he distortion of reality.

Example; If an tempt to kill you happens three times in one day you would become very alert and fearfull. Even with no real proof found of a deliberate plot to do you in. The lower level of the brain is driven by survival, not intellect. Such is normal, not psychotic, behavior.

There  have, in fact, been an increase in natural  events that have taken many human lives and brought great destruction of property. This may be a statistical deviation from the norm. But human survival instinct  overrides  cold logic.

BC, if you drown in a flood, I would not find any pleasure in saying "I told him so."

More bad stuff is coming and ignoring it is not a safe refuge. The is a saying, "Better a living coward dog instead of a brave dead lion."

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
Example; If an tempt to kill you happens three times in one day you would become very alert and fearfull. Even with no real proof found of a deliberate plot to do you in. The lower level of the brain is driven by survival, not intellect. Such is normal, not psychotic, behavior.
This is stupid. Natural disasters of any sort are not something anybody of a sane mind should at any point consider to be an "tempt" to kill (or an attempt even). An attempt indicates some sort of intelligence. a Tornado cannot attempt to rip down your house any more then water or the vacuum of space can "attempt" to kill you.

There  have, in fact, been an increase in natural  events that have taken many human lives and brought great destruction of property.
No, there hasn't.

More bad stuff is coming
How can you say this? What proof is there? What the *censored* difference does it make? Like I SAID, "scientists" (by which I mean, self-proclaimed experts) have been saying that WE should be getting a gigantic cataclysmic earthquake for over 30 years. We had a minor, almost unnoticable shake in February 2002 but that's about it. As far as I'm concerned warnings like this are not perpetuated or started by actual scientists and are either fabricated entirely by the media or by some self-indulgent dickhead trying to further their own agenda. In this case it could be anybody; clearly this nonsense ties quite well into the complete nonsense that is the world ending in 2012, because after all the bajillionth time is the charm, I suppose.

and ignoring it is not a safe refuge. The is a saying, "Better a living coward dog instead of a brave dead lion."

What? That isn't even remotely related.

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
There  have, in fact, been an increase in natural  events that have taken many human lives and brought great destruction of property. This may be a statistical deviation from the norm. But human survival instinct  overrides  cold logic.

More bad stuff is coming and ignoring it is not a safe refuge. The is a saying, "Better a living coward dog instead of a brave dead lion."

your statement is true , over this past 2 years the weather pattern has turned upside down

harry 48

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »
a few people may not believe these staements

the year 2010

1/   The first nine months of the year have seen the highest number of weather-related events since German reinsurance giant Munich Re started keeping records.

2/   This year has so far been the warmest since measurements began 130 years ago, with new temperature records set in Russia (37.8 degrees centigrade) and in Asia (53.5 degrees in

Pakistan).

3/    a new temperature record was set in Los Angeles, with the mercury hitting 45 degrees

4/    Northern Australia had the wettest May-October on record, while the southwestern part of that country had its driest spell on record. And parts of the Amazon River basin struck by

drought hit their lowest water levels in recorded history.

5/    After strong early year blizzards, nicknamed Snowmageddon, paralysed the US mid-Atlantic and record snowfalls hit Russia and China, the temperature turned to broil.

6/    In the southeastern United States, the year began with freezes in Florida that had cold-blooded iguanas becoming comatose and falling off trees

7/    Even the extremes were extreme. This year started with a good sized El Nino, a recurring Pacific Ocean weather oscillation, which causes all sorts of extremes worldwide. Then later in

the year, the world got the mirror image Pacific weather system with a strong La Nina, which causes a different set of extremes. Having a year with both a strong El Nino and La Nina is

unusual.

8/   Britain had it coldest winter for 30 years , northern irelands coldest winter sinse 1963

9/   In the U.S., it was the 23rd warmest year on record and the 14th year in a row with an annual temperature above the long-term average

10/ floods in Australia were it should be dry this time of the year

11/  brazil  got a months rain in one hour which killed nearly 600 people

but then everything is fine there is nothing going wrong with the weather pattern and the earth is fine , just leave things as they are and everything will be ok .

dont bother cutting down on your carbon footprint or recycling , just carry on wasting

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
Source ? ?

There's at least 1/2 of those i would dispute...not counting the falling Iguana's...