Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good sound in only 1 speaker  (Read 8253 times)

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Good sound in only 1 speaker
    « on: February 07, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
    I have an HP Pavilion desktop on Windows 7.  Today I noticed almost no sound in the right speaker.  Since my speakers were old, and I assumed going bad, I went out and bought a nice new Logitech set.  Sounds great, but the right speaker still has barely any sound, so it turns out the issue is not the speakers.  If I plug in headphones to my PC, I get sound in both ears just fine.  If I plug the headphones directly in to the new speakers, I get sound.  The only time the right speaker has any issues is when there are no headphones.  I went to the device manager and played a test.  Great sound in left speaker, but only about 10% in the right.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Good sound in only 1 speaker
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »
    Check your Sounds and Devices on Control Panel, Hardware Acceleration if its in Full(or you could toggle lowering it and check the difference). Have you run the troubleshoot/troubleshooter for your OS Audio device? Try plugging speakers first without any sounds running already from PC.

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
      I don't see acceleration as a choice but the device manager shows everything is balanced.  Keep in mind this was happening with my old speakers and the brand new ones I got less than 2 hours ago.  Could it be that my sound card is bad?  Could it be bad but sound still works fine when I have headphones?  And to clarify the sound is not just faint in the right speaker, it is also distored.  Same issue on old speakers.  Thoughts?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:12:14 PM »
      Ok. Do you happen to see a Control Panel for your Sound card? Have you check or toggled its setting pertaining to the problem related? You could also try updating or reinstalling the Sound card driver before making any confirm that soundcard is at fault. If mobo has onboard audio, try using it to test.

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
        There is a realtek HD Audio manager.  It shows volume is balanced, configured correctly for 2 speakers and subwoofer.  Every time I test, right speaker is faint and distorted.  I already had the troubleshooter update the driver and that accomplished nothing.  Motherboard doesn't appear to have onboard audio.  If it does, I don't know how to find it.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 05:38:40 AM »
        HP Pavilion desktop

What is the model? Have a look at your Device manager for sound card and expand to check on the status or mark and any other devices specified.

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 05:46:44 AM »
          HP s5110t.  I searched for sound card and the setting I can change are just what sounds I get for different events, run a test, configure, etc... I've gone through all of these and end result is the same.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
            If you have access try and borrow another sound card to try before purchasing one to see if it creates a different outcome.If it does then you know your problem.Unless your desires go to high end sound card functions sound cards are not expensive.truenorth
            P.S. Just occurred to me that if it is a problem with only the speaker (line out) jack port then you should get proper sound (both sides) if the headset jack is used. Have you tried that?

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
              I get great sound if I plug in headset to the box or if I plug in to the speakers directly.  This issue only occurs when I am not using headset.  Is it possible to have a bad soundcard but get good sound when using headset?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
                It is a "sound card" issue but it sounds as if it is only related to the "line out " jack (which can happen). I am having some confusion about what your saying here "if I plug in headset to the box or if I plug in to the speakers directly. " Could you elaborate on that please.  What i am saying is that it is most likely only related to a faulty jack or connector on your speaker mini plug. truenorth

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
                  What I mean is if I have on earpieces and plug them into my computer or directly into the new speakers while playing music, I get good sound in both ears.  The issue with the right speaker only happens if I am not using earbuds to listen.

Keep in mind these are brand new speakers I bought last night and the same thing was happening with the old speakers, so the issue can not be the speakers.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                  « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »
                  Refer to this PDF Manual on troubleshooting Audio problem with your PC Model. Starts on Page 42 and 47. Setting up/adjusting microphone and speakers on page 4 and 24. There might just have been amiss on format output or support without knowing what preferences or setup you want to achieved considering you have the right connections and drivers.
                  http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01688148/c01688148.pdf

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
                    After trying jason2074's suggestion harken back to what appears to be the commonality of your issue "and the same thing was happening with the old speakers, " This tends to support the possibility that your issue is related to the jack plug (mini jack) that is at the rear of your sound card. truenorth

mark9029

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
                      I looked at the troubleshooting guide and had no luck.  The fact that only 1 speaker is affected and it is only when I am not wearing headphones leads me to believe it is the jack port or sound card.  I may just say to *censored* with it and buy a new computer as mine is 1.5 years old and it is about time for an upgrade anyway.

Thanks

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                      « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
                      I may just say to *censored* with it and buy a new computer as mine is 1.5 years old and it is about time for an upgrade anyway
                      If you have tested either old or new speakers working on other PC tends to lead that onboard or plug port might be at fault. Given that you are deciding to replace for a more than a year PC(not worth it) causing problem, I would exert on reinstalling OS, correct drivers as a last resort.