Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vertical stripes  (Read 5432 times)

Mattyj9

Vertical stripes
« on: October 15, 2005, 09:03:46 PM »
Hi,
I am brand new here so please be gentle  :)

I'm not sure what section to post my question in- so I'll try here. If it's the wrong place I apologize.  Also- I am not very computer literate... :(

I was in the middle of playing a game tonight (City of Villians beta) and my screen locked up and turned into a bunch of vertical, colored stripes. I shut it down, assuming it was a game glitch- this is beta after all...anyway, when i turned my computer back on it booted up ok and then when it got to my desktop screen it started with the vertical stripes again. I restarted several times - each with the same result.  I am able to use the computer, but the screen is distorted and stripey.

I have limited knowledge as stated before - but is it a problem with my graphics card? the drivers? am I way off here?

I don't know what info to give .. so:
it's a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ 40C1b
ATI Radeon 9800 graphic

...what else should I tell you?

Any help would be very much appreciated...

Thank you very much :)

GX1_Man

Re: Vertical stripes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 09:20:23 PM »
Don't go too crazy trying to fix a problem with their BETA product. Let them know or see if that is a known issue.

you may spend a lot of time and effort trying in vain to fix something that is their issue (and may already have been fixed by the final release).

Other than that, how's the game?  :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 09:21:15 PM by GX1_Man »

Mattyj9

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 09:32:32 PM »
Wow- quick response- thank you  :)

The problem isn't just happening in the game - since it did that the first time, I have not logged back in to play. The issue is continuing even when I am just looking at my desktop or am on the internet. Most of the time I can peer through the stripes- but sometimes it locks up completely and I have to shut down.

and the game rocks  ;D I have been playing like crazy... well..up until this little issue anyway.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 11:23:26 PM »
Uninstall and reinstall drivers is the first thought. Make sure the video card is firmly seated in the slot. Pull it out and put it back in. If this doesn't help, post back.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 11:24:16 PM »
    Check your video drivers in your device manager.
    Check your screen resolution.
    Check your refresh rate.
    Does it do it in safe mode?

Mattyj9

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 11:26:52 PM »
    wow- this forum is awesome. I will try everything suggested and post back.

thank you!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 11:29:58 PM »
    We do appreciate feedback.  :D

Mattyj9

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »
    Uninstall and reinstall drivers is the first thought. Make sure the video card is firmly seated in the slot. Pull it out and put it back in. If this doesn't help, post back.

I tried to do the drivers yesterday with no change.

Video card is firmly seated.

It's also getting worse- I can turn on the computer for about 2 minutes then I get stripes and my monitor turns off and says 'no input signal-go to power save'  :-[

Mattyj9

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 06:29:57 PM »
    Check your video drivers in your device manager.
    Check your screen resolution.
    Check your refresh rate.
    Does it do it in safe mode?

Checked my drivers.
    Screen resolution was changed and it didn't help.
    Yes, it happenes in safe mode
    I don't know what refresh rate is or how to check it  :( ???

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
    So it was totally fine until 2 days ago and nothing happened to the computer. The fan still turns on it? Does it help to take the side panel off the case. Does it stay the same or continue to degrade the longer its on?
    How long have you had the card. We are sure your system has internet cr*p on it - adware/spyware, virii?

Mattyj9

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 06:55:25 PM »
    So it was totally fine until 2 days ago and nothing happened to the computer. The fan still turns on it? Does it help to take the side panel off the case. Does it stay the same or continue to degrade the longer its on?
    How long have you had the card. We are sure your system has internet cr*p on it - adware/spyware, virii?

Yep- totally fine up until then and nothing happened to it.  The fan still turns on and it seems to boot up just fine.

Haven't tried taking the side panel off.

I was able to mess with it last night peering through the crappy lines, but now it doesn't give me time to do anything - just shuts off after about two minutes- up until that time though, nothing appears to be wrong - no graphics issues at all. Then - stripes and shutdown.

I guess the card is almost two years old- with heavy gaming use (does that matter?...sorry i don't know these things :-[).

My system has spyware/adware/antivirus, etc and I run scans weekly and always make sure it's updated.

I'll give Sony a call tomorrow and get someone out here to look at it - i seem to have stumped everyone I ask  :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 07:33:09 PM »
    When you open that case, see if the fan is still turning on that video card. Heat does a lot of bad things!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Mattyj9

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 07:37:32 PM »
    So I am finding out. I googled the issue - I am seeing a lot of people have the same issue with the video card I have. I will check the fan thing!

thank you again !!

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »
    From the old grey matter........vertical lines......sometimes happened on the amigma1200 before your time i guess..........

indicated a ram ......problem......

either type windiag in the run box......or download sisoftsandra/everest......and run the tests....

what colling has this /laptop/pc got.

Mattyj9

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 08:24:16 PM »
    When you open that case, see if the fan is still turning on that video card. Heat does a lot of bad things!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

yep..checked this tonight - fan is fine