Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video & audio installation problems under W98SE  (Read 9176 times)

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Video & audio installation problems under W98SE
    « on: January 14, 2006, 05:03:08 AM »
    I work as a volunteer for an organisation that helps elderly people work with computers. Most of these people have old, old, old computers and very little money. Our organization has a small number of old computers for teaching purposes that are mostly donated after having been used for 3-5 years

For our own organization (see above) I have assembled a Compaq Deskpro; basically extended the mory and put a new hard disc in. Otherwise the system is a standard Compaq Deskpro EN2/P800/SFF. There is no separate video card, nor a separate audio card (all embedded in the motherboard).

On the "new" disc (it came from another system that was total-loss otherwise), I have partitioned for 2 operating systems and data.
    Then, I installed Windows 98SE and XP on separate partitions as multi-boot system. All went fine and the system runs smoothly with both operating systems.
    HOWEVER, I have 2 problems under W98SE that do not occur under XP:

1. The video under 98SE only gives VGA output; I cannot change it under control panel >display >settings. However, the video hw itself is OK because under XP the system system happily runs at 1024*768 & 24 colours.

2. I cannot install the audio system, there does not seem to be an appropriate driver on my W98SE disc. I have installed the complete software from Compaq (SP27532) but it does not install the audio part. I would assume that the chip would have a problem if not for the fact that it works under XP: the sound is not very good, but hey ...
    The system lists the audio as PCI Multimedia Audio device. During installation it cannot find a pnp vxd file.

Any suggestions?
    Rob

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re:  Video & audio installation problems unde
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:09:31 AM »
    Honestly sounds like a driver related to me. Windows XP is a lot better at detecting and installing drivers on the computer then Windows 98SE will ever be. My suggestion would be to update the video and sound card drivers for the computer.

I suggest getting the drivers directly from Compaq. I took a little time in visiting Compaq's site and locating the drivers for you (below link).

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/locate/4_1150.html ***

*** May want to verify I got the correct system information. Just going off what I think your system is based on your system description

Additionally make sure you've got all the latest updated drivers from Microsoft's site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 05:10:41 AM by admin »
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 05:30:48 AM »
      Honestly sounds like a driver related to me. Windows XP is a lot better at detecting and installing drivers on the computer then Windows 98SE will ever be. My suggestion would be to update the video and sound card drivers for the computer.

I suggest getting the drivers directly from Compaq. I took a little time in visiting Compaq's site and locating the drivers for you (below link).

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/locate/4_1150.html ***

*** May want to verify I got the correct system information. Just going off what I think your system is based on your system description

Additionally make sure you've got all the latest updated drivers from Microsoft's site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Thank you.
      Before I posted I was already at the HP/Compaq site that you mentioned but there are no special drivers for the embedded audio and video standard stuff that I have here.
      These drivers all seem to be for separate cards .. that is why I re-installed the whole chipset software, but that does not cure the display problem and gives the same messages for audio ...

Windows update gives lots of security fixes but no updated drivers. I had looked there also prior to posting.

System spec is correct : Compaq Deskpro EN2/P800/SFF, 256MB, 80GB, no additonal cards,

:-? :-?
      Rob

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 05:37:03 AM »
      Unfortunately it is sometimes possible that a manufacture may not list drivers for onboard devices. I can't explain the reasoning, but it is possible. I suggest then since it's working in Windows XP that you determine the manufacturer and/or model of the sound and video it's detecting and then get a Windows 98SE equivalent. You may need to get the drivers directly from the manufacturer or other third-party site, URLs to almost all of these sites can be found on the below link.

ftp://http://www.computerhope.com/drivers/

Chipset drivers will often resolve or help to resolve this issue, but since you've already tried this it should not be necessary.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 07:23:10 AM »
        Thank you.
        I dowloaded the chipset software (i815) from the Intel site and that fixed the video problem. It actually changed the definition of the video system as well.
        The audio problem has not been solved but is not of any importance.

Rob

Pensionada

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 09:27:55 AM »
          Finally found a driver that works, via Driverguide.com. It is not the original driver, but who cares. Why it can't be found on Compaq or Intel sites is a puzzle to me.

Problems solved.
          Thanks to all
          Rob