Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where is the port????  (Read 2458 times)

Trout

Where is the port????
« on: January 16, 2006, 06:57:30 AM »
I have been told to connect a game I wish to play though my laptop, as we are having trouble getting it going!

I got told to plug the console into the laptop using a RJ45 cable, no problem managed to get that one!!  :) But now I have to link the laptop to the "socket" (the phone type hole in the wall) using the Ethernet out port????? What is one of those? which hole one is it??? and what type of cable do i need?????

(sorry i cant find the instructions!! )

Thank you for your time

Jason

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Where is the port????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:46:37 AM »
First, just as some heads up information. There are two types of RJ connections you should be familiar with, a RJ-11 and a RJ-45. The RJ-11 is a connection used for phone lines and modems, where the RJ-45 is used for Ethernet (network cables) and the RJ-11 is a little smaller in size then the RJ-45.

First, make sure you're connecting a Ethernet cable (not a phone cable) to your laptop. Not all laptops and desktops have a network connection (RJ-45) but may have a RJ-11.

If you're sure this is a network connection and you're using a network cable you're going to need to connect to the laptop, the other end would connect to a network router, switch, or hub. Other computers would then connect into one of these to allow you to play games with other computers on the same network.

If you're trying to go computer to computer you would need a special ethernet network cable called a crossover cable.

A good place to start with networking information is:
http://www.computerhope.com/help/nic.htm

Also searching on Computer Hope for almost any computer definition will give you a definition for that term and also a better understanding with what you're dealing with.

Hope this helps.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein