Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Found a new cleanup tip for XP Pro & Server 2003  (Read 2608 times)

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Found a new cleanup tip for XP Pro & Server 2003
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »
I was googleing around today and came across this link that provides some info and "How To" for cleaning up "Prefetch Files" on XP Pro and Windows Server 2003.

I don't know if this applies to XP Home. I guess a person would half to look and see if the Prefetch files are there.

I am running XP Pro and I had a lot of files in there. I actually think I can tell a bit of difference in speed after following the procedure.  

Here is the link to the page.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Gaining-Speed-Empty-Prefetch-XP.html
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 12:10:44 AM by Fordtruckmaniac »
 Fordtruckmaniac

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Found a new cleanup tip for XP Pro & Server 20
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 06:30:21 AM »
Yes this tip also applies to Microsoft Windows XP home edition. It's a good tip.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:21:55 PM »
I have CCleaner and opened it and saw under the "System" section the "Old Prefetch Data" which does have a check mark by it.

And yet I did have lot of items in the Prefetch some dating back to October 05 even though I run CCleaner every few days.   hmmm
 Fordtruckmaniac

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 01:22:18 AM »
Are you meaning, do I still have CCleaner on this computer?

If so, Yes.

I emptied the Prefetch files manually when I found this info the other day. So CCleaner did not seem (according to the dated files) to grab everything when I run it.

I did not recall seeing the same files twice, if thats hat you are meaning, but I did not study them extremely hard.
 Fordtruckmaniac

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:39:15 PM »
Well, when I found this info I just cleaned them out with out studying them real hard.

However now, I do see many things that I recognize as being on my computer and a few not.

I do remember one file from when I first looked at the Prefetch files. It was lsass.exe. I knew that was a bug. I deleted it first, then the others. I had a warning from Avast a couple weeks ago about a bug. I took care of it right then. Went to safe mode, shut off System Restore and went though with a full check of everything. And was clean.
 Fordtruckmaniac

Fordtruckmaniac

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 01:58:06 AM »
Mac,

Thanks for that bit of info.

I may be wrong but it seemed there was no Microsoft anything at the beggining of the lsass.exe file name.

But I have slept since then.  :-/
 Fordtruckmaniac

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 02:35:07 AM »
    Prefetch?... XP smoke & mirrors.  ;D