Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error during cloning ---> not working ssd  (Read 4711 times)

Adass4

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Error during cloning ---> not working ssd
    « on: January 08, 2020, 01:57:09 AM »
    So I wanted to clone my d , c drives to my new ssd kingston a400 480gb. I used macrium reflect to the clone. I had enough of space (like 150gb). And at 99% cloning process I got error 9. Then I restarted my pc because i thought that clone process failed and did not finish. And now I cant access my ssd disk. It does not not show any empty space or gbs used. I will provide screenshots once I am home.
    Please help, I hope I did not ruin my ssd.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Error during cloning ---> not working ssd
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
    I had something similar happen to me with a brand new SSD about 2 months ago.  After the cloning process was completed, the SSD was dead.  Fortunately for me, it was a brand new drive and was replaced with a new one.  If yours is new perhaps you can get it replaced as well.  If not, maybe you have a warranty on it that will replace it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:33:46 PM »
    This has been documented.
    Do not try and clone a HDD to a SDD.
    They are disparate.  :'(

If you first came here and asked, somebody here would tell you.  8)

Look:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001914.htm
    The article never mentions SSD, That does not mean it is OK. It means it was not covered because a SSD is not a HDD.
    Elsewhere:
    It is well-known that the SSD (solid state drive) has better properties than traditional hard disk drive (HDD). Compared with HDD, SSD is running more smoothly with the lower voice, and it is faster than HDD. As a result, some Windows users are trying to upgrade the old HDD to SSD for getting better performance. To avoid OS reinstallation, they choose clone HDD to SSD. However, sooner they find a big problem that the cloned SSD won’t boot in Windows 10/8/7.
    https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/cloned-ssd-wont-boot.html

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 02:37:06 PM »
    I don't understand your remark Geek, HDDs are cloned to SSDs all the time without issue.  I have personally done about a dozen of those clonings on my personal computers.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 03:52:12 PM »
    Geeks Post should be ignored...for many reasons...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
    Yes, you can ignore me.
    The issue has been documented elsewhere.
    https://www.easeus.com/backup-utility/copy-and-clone-hard-drive.html
    To copy or clone hard drive, you should first figure out that a third party disk clone software is necessary. Here, EaseUS Windows backup software, professional backup software with powerful disk clone feature is recommended. The program can do a perfect job to clone hard drive by copying your entire hard drive to another with either fast file-by-file copy or sector-by-sector copy. And it also offers safe hard drive disk copy/clone solution to transfer your data on the old disk to a new one, back up the system such as clone system disk Windows 10 or image hard drive in case of computer crash or system failure. Now you can learn how to clone hard drive with this hard drive clone software step by step.

Why do they say that?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 05:05:23 PM »
    Geek, I'd suggest you read the results of your google searches instead of merely pasting the links to them as proof of whatever you were searching for.

There is nothing to support your wild claim that Cloning from an HDD to an SSD is inherently unsafe.

Why do they say that?

Because they are not proficient in English. Just read the first sentence. It's gibberish. "To copy or clone hard drive, you should first figure out that a third party disk clone software is necessary."

Contrast with This corresponding article from Macrium and the language barrier in the first one becomes very clear. The Macrium Article mentions little regarding SSDs, but does note an option regarding SSD TRIM for target drives.

I had no strong feelings for or against Easeus but I'll be avoiding them going forward if that is the quality of their copy. Not to mention the 2 pixel high font their pages use.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 12:41:15 AM »
    Hi

You don't say if the new ssd is a M2 drive or SATA the A400 model can be either. If it is a M2 drive it is possible your version of  Macrium Reflect doesn't support M2 drives or the configuration of  the M2 in the motherboard Bios isn't correct.

This is all a big assumption if you could please tell us if it is the M2 variant of the Kingston and if so how you have the drive attached to your system. If you can still boot into windows then a quick way to get this info is with a program called Speccy from here https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy
    Then select file, publish snapshot and copy the link given here.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan