Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: big problem with norton  (Read 22338 times)

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: big problem with norton
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 06:24:30 PM »
Looks like there are still some problems in your HiJack This logfile.  Some marked in the analyzer are ok, but there are a few that should still be looked at (what is the file ??rvices.exe that's running?).
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 07:39:59 PM »
     jedwardsb....... Did you use hijackthis to remove the earlier mentioned bad entries ...... because I am seeing them all still there ........
    Please mention how you removed them ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 10:22:54 PM »
      DL65, it looks like jedwardsb has just run the scans so far.
      I am concerned about ??rvices, it's listed as a possible trojan, I wonder why Ewido didn't get it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 12:57:53 AM »
        DL65, it looks like jedwardsb has just run the scans so far.
        I am concerned about ??rvices, it's listed as a possible trojan, I wonder why Ewido didn't get it?
         I found one place where it refered to that entry as a virus and another that called it a trojan ....... One things for sure , it shouldnt be there at all ....... Did jedwardsb run the scans in safe mode I wonder ..... with system restore turned off ?  I just went thru his latest hijackthis log and I see quite a few items which should be removed ....but until he tells us his machine has been scanned in Safe by the AV and Ewido .........I wouldnt go any further yet .  I didnt see any confirmation that he ran Ewido .....

dl65  ::)
        « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 01:19:03 AM by dl65 »
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

jedwardsb

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 09:14:45 PM »
        I forgot to post that I had had a problem with starting over in Safe Mode. I attempted to do it, but it stopped at a black screen and wouldnt go any further. I restarted the laptop in normal mode by turning the power off (I had waited for more than an hour) and installed the software previously mentioned.

In other news, the pop-ups have returned. But the software must have done something, because the severity in the number of pop-ups has gone down significantly.

Im also still having the problems w/ the mousepad and the quick links in the lower left hand corner.

Oh, and I did use hijack this to remove the entries you all said to remove. However they returned
        « Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:49:03 PM by jedwardsb »

GX1_Man

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 04:53:37 AM »
        You're just getting reinfected. If you cannot do EXACTLY what is suggested be up front about it. Do you have a shiny, real Windows CD to reinstall if needed?

jedwardsb

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2006, 04:45:50 AM »
        Sorry for the delay in reply, but yes I do have that cd

Backdated

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2006, 05:56:56 AM »
        You have multiple infections. Carefully follow the instructions outlined in [highlight]this post[/highlight] and report back.

jedwardsb

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
        Thank you all for all of the help. However I have found the solution. I reinstalled Norton and all of a sudden it decided to work. I dont have any more spyware problems.

Backdated

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2006, 05:52:01 AM »
        Unless it's vastly improved over the last month or so, NAV will not fix some of the problems that you have.

jedwardsb

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »
        Well, I've also run the other anti-spyware programs that you all suggested. They didnt work when separate, but when they both were running simultaneously, they worked.

GX1_Man

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
        Well, I've also run the other anti-spyware programs that you all suggested. They didnt work when separate, but when they both were running simultaneously, they worked.

I would  like to  hear more of this story.

jedwardsb

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 09:50:03 PM »
        To make a long story short, I had originally had McCaffe(sp?) pre-installed on my laptop. That worked fine and I never had any problems with it. The subscription ran out and my dad had just bought Norton so I installed it. As soon as McCaffe was gone and Norton was installed I started having serious pop up problems so I uninstalled Norton. The anti-spyware software that was suggested on here such as hijack this worked. But only until I restarted my computer. When I reinstalled Norton all the problems stopped. Weird, huh?

Backdated

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2006, 05:18:15 PM »
        Post a final Hijackthis logfile and we'll check to see if your problems have really stopped.

jedwardsb

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2006, 10:29:04 PM »
        Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
        Scan saved at 11:27:35 PM, on 3/26/2006
        Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
        MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
        C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
        C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
        C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
        C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
        C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
        C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
        C:\Program Files\Sony\MD Simple Burner\NetMDSB.exe
        C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
        C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
        C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~3\NPROTECT.EXE
        C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\1XConfig.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~3\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
        C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1133212568\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
        C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
        C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
        C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
        C:\Program Files\Comcast Rhapsody\rhaphlpr.exe
        C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YPager.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
        C:\WINDOWS\msagent\AgentSvr.exe
        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech\sapisvr.exe
        C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
        C:\Documents and Settings\traccy\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
        O2 - BHO: ATLDistrib Object - {2353FCBC-012D-487B-8BF3-865C0929FBEB} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtsts.dll
        O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
        O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1133212568\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
        O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
        O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
        O4 - Global Startup: Norton GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
        O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
        O9 - Extra button: Express Cleanup - {5E638779-1818-4754-A595-EF1C63B87A56} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Cleanup\WCQuick.lnk
        O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Express Cleanup - {5E638779-1818-4754-A595-EF1C63B87A56} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Cleanup\WCQuick.lnk
        O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
        O20 - Winlogon Notify: IntelWireless - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\LgNotify.dll
        O20 - Winlogon Notify: ThemeManager - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnn0015me.dll (file missing)
        O20 - Winlogon Notify: vtsts - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtsts.dll
        O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
        O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
        O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
        O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
        O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
        O23 - Service: GoBack Polling Service (GBPoll) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
        O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
        O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
        O23 - Service: MD Simple Burner Service (NetMDSB) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\MD Simple Burner\NetMDSB.exe
        O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.