Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Some images half grey.  (Read 8221 times)

vileoxidation

Some images half grey.
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
I have many images on my computer, and this only afflicts a few of them, but of course they are the ones that I want the most!!

What happens is that when I go into an images folder and make it so that I am viewing the "Filmstrip" mode, I can see the entirety of all of my pictures in the small thumbnails. However, some of the pictures, when selected (and thus enlarged and brought to center), suddenly have an area of grey or some other solid neutral color. It is as though I had colored over half of the picture with a grey paintbrush, but I can still see the whole image in the filmstrip.

Also, if I edit one of these pictures, and save both versions, I can see the entire original in the filmstrip, but I can't even see the entire edited version.

I have attached an example of what I mean.

P.S. The reason I am mentioning the filmstrip is that I figure if I can still see the whole picture somewhere, it may not be entirely corrupted. I may be very wrong, but that is why I keep mentioning it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:34:39 PM by vileoxidation »

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Some images half grey.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:39:17 PM »
It is strange that this is showing up in the filmstrip. I'm assuming it's because when this file was working the cached version was stored in the Windows thumbnail. However, it definitely appears that this file is due to some type of data corruption. I downloaded the file and attempted to manually repair it but every tool I used was unable to fix the file.

This means unless any of the users have any other suggestions the file and others like it are likely lost (unless backed up). My suggestion would be to definitely run a scandisk and even a defrag on the computer to make sure the hard drive is not failing or already bad.

http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/software/defrag.htm

This will not fix your image problem but will help any other possible hard drive related issues and/or help determine if the hard drive is failing.

Finally, if you wish to attempt to recover the image file yourself (I wasn't able to do it), the best tool I recommend for JPEG files is:

http://www.hketech.com/JPEG-recovery/index.php
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

vileoxidation

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:33:28 PM »
Thank you! I will try the recovery tool, but I doubt I will get anywhere.  :(

Thanks for your help.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:40:52 AM »
Rebecca, what program do you use to edit your photos?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »
    Reminds me of the old 35mm days when the shutter only opened partially, catching part of the intended picture.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

vileoxidation

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »
    Rebecca, what program do you use to edit your photos?

Jasc PSP 7.