Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: This seemed the best place...  (Read 6173 times)

weckar

This seemed the best place...
« on: April 27, 2007, 04:31:48 AM »
alright: since yesterday evening, I've been having a problem with my internet connection. except for IE, no other program is allowed to connect. I've already run a thorough virus&ware scan, so that can't be it. Also, none of the programs that attempt to connect give a problem with the connection limitations. In fact, none of them would even connect after lifting all limitations.

If this problem sounds familiar to you, please tell em what you've done about it. Help highly appreciated.

Raptor

Re: This seemed the best place...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:12:41 AM »
The subject is not a description of what you think about your location, but a short description of the problem with keywords..

As for your problem; sounds like you blocked off most ports with your firewall. Since you didn't mention what firewall nor OS you have, I can't help you.

weckar

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »
1. what's a firewall?
2. what's an OS?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:20:08 AM »
Firewall: Click here

weckar

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Oh, alright. I don't think I have a Firewall and I run on Windows

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
Yes, but which Windows?

And you are going to have to be certain you do not have a firewall because what you describe looks a lot like a firewall.

It could either be hardware or software, hardware as in Router or modem or software as in Windows XP Firewall or any other vendor's firewall.

weckar

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »
Yes, I do run windows XP!

meanwhile, I've figured some more things out: The only programs that will connect, both over internet and the local network, are IE and Outlook.

I'm sorry for my dumbness, raptor, but where would I start looking for a firewall? I know I don't have a hardware one at least...

and yeah, it all worked fine till a few days ago.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
What have you done a few days ago?

The Windows XP Firewall can be found under settings -> Control panel -> Windows Firewall.

Try shutting it down for a moment to see if the problem persists, if it doesn't. Your job is clear and you'll have to reconfigure your firewall.

weckar

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »
Well, I went to the conttrol panel, clicked the Wondows Firewal Icon and got an error: "The settings of Windows Firewall cannot be displayed due to an unknown problem"

I haven't done anything unusual to my pc lately...

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »
Well, I went to the conttrol panel, clicked the Wondows Firewal Icon and got an error: "The settings of Windows Firewall cannot be displayed due to an unknown problem"

I haven't done anything unusual to my pc lately...

What anti-virus and anti-spyware have you used?

weckar

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
well, pretty much everything in Hitman Pro 2 and a few online scans... Pandasoftware and bitprotector I think....

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »
Well, uninstall all of that and use the following in safe mode:

1. AVG Free
2. Adaware SE
3. Windows Defender
4. Crap Cleaner

Download the latest MS updates as well.

weckar

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 02:02:57 PM »
uhm, would it be allowed ot give any direct links to those? Searchers ar a nightmare...

Raptor

weckar

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »
alright, I ran all 4. plenty of stuff found and fixed/removed, but the problem persists and I still get the error when trying to open windows firewall. I rebooted after scans.

EDIT: almost forgot! while trying to update itself (none of them could because of the discussed problem here), one of them had an error about proxy settings. don't know if this helps but I thought it worth mentioning...