Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing "Expired" AVG Anti-Virus Download  (Read 5032 times)

jandal

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Installing "Expired" AVG Anti-Virus Download
    « on: October 26, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
    I use an Intel Pentium 166MHz w/MMX Computer,  Windows 98SE, dial-up, with 64.0 MB RAM. I downloaded AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and when I went to install it an "Expired Download" box appeared, advising me to download the latest version. I ignored this and installed my AVG download 7.5.503. All went fine. Then I noticed a red exclamation mark on the AVG screen and ran a "Check For Updates". As it reached 100% I thought I was nearly finished. But the "Time Left" line began counting upwards. Confused by this, I cancelled the process. Should I run another "Check For Updates" or simply uninstall and install a later AVG version? I need to keep AVG updated but wonder if the "Expired Download" means the program is not usable. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

jandal    ???

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Installing "Expired" AVG Anti-Virus Download
    « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »
    It's simply letting you know that your virus definitions are out-of-date. These are the files that contain information on how to detect viruses and are needed to be updated so new viruses can be found.

I'd suggest going through the process of checking for updates again and letting it complete. You should not need to reinstall the program.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:06:10 PM »
    And the update may run for awhile depending on your connection...this is normal. as they update daily and some times more than once a day it has some catching up to do...
    Grab a coffee and a crossword puzzle.
     ;)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jandal

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:39:16 PM »
      That "expired" download message continued to bother me. So I decided to err on the side of caution. I uninstalled it and downloaded and installed a "clean" version of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. I am so glad that I did because when I ran a Check For Updates it took less than ten minutes as opposed to more than one hour with the "expired" download. In the future whenever I am in doubt about any software program I will think twice before installing. Thanks to the Computer Hope Administrator and patio for your advice.

jandal  :D

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »
      You're welcome and thank you for the follow up on what you ended up doing.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein