Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XCOPY or ROBOCOPY?  (Read 2913 times)

nceranek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

XCOPY or ROBOCOPY?
    « on: November 02, 2007, 09:07:06 AM »
    I am trying to complete a batch that will copy all files located in a newly created folder. The code below copies both the folder and the files within but I just need to look for a new folder and copy its contents.

Code: [Select]
    XCOPY "\\gulffile\GIS\Arbuckle\Data\Survey\UTM14" "C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN\My Documents\GIS_Office\TEST\ONE_OK" /D:10/30/2007 /S /V /C /F /Y

guardian

Beginner

Re: XCOPY or ROBOCOPY?
      « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »
      I just tried this and it worked for me to copy just the contents.  File and folder names I will try to match with yours:

Code: [Select]
      copy "\\gulffile\GIS\Arbuckle\Data\Survey\UTM14\" "C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN\My Documents\GIS_Office\TEST\ONE_OK\" /D:10/30/2007 /S /V /C /F /Y

nceranek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:26:55 AM »
        Let me be more specific...

There is a folder created offsite by John Doe and names the folder according to the date e.g. 20071101. Every night a new folder is created, so:

\\gulffile\GIS\Arbuckle\Data\Survey\UTM_14

will have folders 20071101, 20071031, 20071030, etc.

I only need the contents of the new folder. I hope this makes sense because I am stuck!

guardian

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:20:38 AM »
          So I can understand better, you are looking to copy the contents of the new folder that is created at a remote location at the end of the day?  Since you are making a batch out of this i am guessing you don't want to run it manually so you will want to use the date variable to auto the formatting.  I myself am trying to better understand this function my self so here is a couple links to help with this.

http://www.computerhope.com/forhlp.htm
          http://expressionengine.com/docs/templates/date_variable_formatting.html

nceranek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
            Yes. I want it automated so the copied contents can run through the processing batch I have created. Its easier shown then said  :P