Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Court Finds Dell Guilty of Fraud  (Read 12290 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Court Finds Dell Guilty of Fraud
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »
From PC World through Yahoo! News:

Partial quote (see link for full article):
Dell was found guilty on Tuesday of fraud, false advertising, deceptive business practices and abusive debt collection practices in a case brought by the New York attorney general.

The Albany County Supreme Court found that Dell deprived customers of technical support that they bought or were eligible for under warranty in several ways, including by requiring people to wait for very long times on the phone, repeatedly transferring their calls and frequently disconnecting their calls.

Dell also often failed to provide onsite repairs for customers who bought contracts for such support and often blamed software when hardware was actually the problem, the court found. The company also sometimes refused to offer support when a support contract ended, even though the user had first complained about a problem before the end of the contract. Subscribers to a "next-day" repair service sometimes waited as long as a year for support, the court found.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
Re: Court Finds Dell Guilty of Fraud
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
I hope this goes through. I've heard of late service from Dell but things like: "Subscribers to a "next-day" repair service sometimes waited as long as a year for support, the court found." is totally unacceptable.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:33 AM »
"We did repair it the next day, we just didn't send it back until a year later."

;D

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
Hey quaxo,

Don't you think your extremely-political signature is out of place on this non-political forum?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
This is what happens when profit wins out over service. 

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
Hey quaxo,

Don't you think your extremely-political signature is out of place on this non-political forum?

I agree, but isn't that a better question for a PM (or at least a thread in the "Other" section) than a news thread on Dell?

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
I agree, but isn't that a better question for a PM (or at least a thread in the "Other" section) than a news thread on Dell?

Well, I could have clicked the "report to moderator" link, but I was hoping to be gentle.  Also, my gentle question seems less intrusive here than that glaring, distracting signature banner.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 06:40:13 AM »
AdBlock in FireFox works well...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 06:45:36 AM »
I like what they say. Very useful when I'm waiting for something to load  :P

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 06:51:41 AM »
I've always liked Dell products...I just think their support leaves "a whole lot" to be desired.  I'm glad this has happened...and I, too, hope it sticks.  They deserve it.

On another note...

Hey quaxo,

Reminds me of a quote I made up...well...at least I think it's an original (at least the end of it is)...

"There's one no matter where you go...if not, they come looking for you."

Whatever happened to the First Amendment?

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:41 AM »
Whatever happened to the First Amendment?

Sadly, we have drifted off topic.  :'(  Ironically, I helped do the very thing I was arguing against--turning a technical thread into political discourse.  But the damage is done, so let me try to straighten things out a little.

The First Amendment doesn't protect anyone from me or even the moderators because we are not Congress.  You see, the First Amendment says, Congress shall make no law ... abridging the the freedom of speech ...

Even if the moderators here slapped down all mention of politics in threads and signatures, that would not be an abridgment of speech, because this forum is private and there are thousands (millions?) of others. 

Don't believe me?  Do a web search for "Powered by SMF" or "Powered by phpBB" or "Powered by vBulletin".  Millions of hits.  Forums.  Opportunities to post what you think.  Very many of them American.  America is good.  ;D

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »
Amen!

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Hey quaxo,

Don't you think your reply to it is out of place in this thread about a lawsuit against Dell? Besides, no, but to appease the softies, I changed it immediately after seeing the complaint and even offered an apology in its place for 24 hours, just in case I offended anyone.

Well, I could have clicked the "report to moderator" link, but I was hoping to be gentle.  Also, my gentle question seems less intrusive here than that glaring, distracting signature banner.

I've seen bigger, more glaring banners than that here and no one has complained about them. If you don't approve of what I had to say, fine... but a simple polite private message stating your concerns would have been more appropriate than hijacking this thread.

It was changed the moment anyone complained, so there's no reason to continue hijacking this thread over it. I consider the issue resolved.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 03:39:03 AM by quaxo »

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:31:19 AM »
I have no objections to Quaxo's sig, in fact after I researched a bit I found that Mario Savio was a fine man who did some very brave and necessary things and said some very wise and apposite things. He was a fine American, the kind that country needs more of at this time. So, please don't back down, Quaxo.

Anyway, one time in another thread on here I objected to having to see quotes from the Bible and was told, not in those words, basically to suck it up, so I reckon KenJackson should do the same.

Lastly, looking at KenJackson's and Quaxo's post counts, I see they are in the ratio (right now) of 25:1319, so maybe KenJackson should get his feet wet before he starts making splashes?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »
That's kind of the thought I had.

I posted something early on that was kind of a rant, and backed off of it because I realized I was the new guy, and maybe I ought to take it easy.

I am reminded (temporary hijack), Dias, that I made a reference to Zarathrustra which wasn't as funny as I thought it was, and take this moment to apologize.

The signature in question was previous to Quaxo's current signature, and made an association with our president and terrorism.  I can see how some might be offended, but I, for one, have been offended for a long time, now.  I started becoming offended after the dot-com bubble burst.  I shall say no more, for this is neither time nor place.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"