Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: losing mouse arrow in Word  (Read 5941 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

losing mouse arrow in Word
    « on: September 25, 2008, 10:32:14 PM »
    The mouse arrow has disappeared on a number of occasions when I have been editing in Word 2000 with Windows 98SE. This has prevented any further editing. I can generally save the file and exit Word by using the keys but I have to reboot to be able to start editing again. I have tried to find what I have done to cause this problem but Help has been no help.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: losing mouse arrow in Word
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 03:21:52 AM »
    Wait a sec, you're trying to open a file made on Windows 2000 on Windows 98?
    Could the Microsoft Word Versions be different?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 03:30:50 AM »
      I am using Word 2000 on Windows 98. I have been doing that for years. The problem has started recently. It may be associated with the size of the file I am editing which is 300kB words.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:35:41 AM »
      300kb is a bit big.

If the problem only happens with that Document, it might be the problem.

What are your computer's specs? (RAM, Processor Speed, Hard Drive Capacity and Free Space)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:07:38 AM »
        I do not know whether the problem occurs with other documents. I cannot carry out a test because it is an intermittent problem. It just occurs occasionally when  I have the arrow pointing at text. The arrow just disappears although it reappears if I move the mouse so it goes to the task bar. I am not aware of anything special that I am doing when the problem occurs.
        The hard drive capacity is 75GB and free space is 60 GB. RAM is 192 MB.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:13:53 AM »
        Wait a sec, I think I know what you mean.

Do you notice that, when you start typing in MS Word, the pointer disappears and when you move the mouse, it reappears?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:56 AM »
          When the mouse is pointing to outside the Word page, the pointer is an arrow. when moved onto the page it is I. Clicking sets it up for typing where it is. The I disappears when the typing is done. The I reappears when the typing is finished. The I changes back to the arrow if I move the mouse so the pointer goes off the page, say to the Task Bar.
          I now have another problem that may be related. I left the Word editing to go to Firefox to check my email inbox. having done that, I clicked on the Word icon in the Task Bar to return to the editing. That did not work. A corrupted Word page appeared. The only way I can now get back to editing the .doc is to reboot. I will do that after sending this reply.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:23:47 AM »
          When the mouse is pointing to outside the Word page, the pointer is an arrow. when moved onto the page it is I. Clicking sets it up for typing where it is. The I disappears when the typing is done. The I reappears when the typing is finished. The I changes back to the arrow if I move the mouse so the pointer goes off the page, say to the Task Bar.
          This sounds right, and is the same for all my computers.

As for that problem, is it a one time event?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:41 AM »
            No, it has happened a number of times over the past few days. The latest problem has occurred before but I only mentioned it here because of the possibility that the two problems were related. I have also had the occasional case of the computer freezing but I generally just reboot and treat it as an isolated incident.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:38:33 AM »
            On that 192MB RAM system of yours, I wouldn't be surprised.
            Firefox is a very demanding program and MS Word can get pretty demanding when working with large files.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:54:18 AM »
              It looks as though I will have to organize my editing so that I do not lose much when this problem occurs. That is a nuisance. I had hoped that there was something I could do to prevent it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »
              To prevent it, I would get a new computer. :P
              At least something that can handle the stress of multi-tasking.

Not trying to bring down Windows 98 here, just saying that those specs might not be able to handle modern-day applications.

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 08:07:32 AM »
              I do not know whether the problem occurs with other documents. I cannot carry out a test because it is an intermittent problem.

Well, has the problem ever occurred when working with another Word file? 

The hard drive capacity is 75GB and free space is 60 GB. RAM is 192 MB.

Do you have 256MB of physical RAM installed?  I suspect that's what you have, and 64MB is designated as "shared" video memory.  Anyway, 192MB or 256MB is a good bit of memory for Win 98SE and you should have no problem having Word and your web browser open at the same time.  One spec you did not mention is your processor.  What is it?

Now, as previously said, 300K is a very large Word file.  And, as far a multi-tasking, you might try using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, just as a test to see whether it makes in difference.

I have also had the occasional case of the computer freezing but I generally just reboot and treat it as an isolated incident.

Have you observed any pattern here, any correlation to using that Word file? 

Do you use any spyware removal tools?  It's getting increasingly hard to find ones that run on Win 98SE.  Do you regularly do certain maintenance procedures, such as temp file cleanup and disk defragmentation?

... I left the Word editing to go to Firefox to check my email inbox. having done that, I clicked on the Word icon in the Task Bar to return to the editing. That did not work. A corrupted Word page appeared. The only way I can now get back to editing the .doc is to reboot. I will do that after sending this reply.
              Well, what's the status on that?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
                The reboot was OK and I was able to do some editing before closing down for the night. I am using Firefox because I have problems with IE in that it puts out an error message and shuts down. I have been unable to determine why this happens. I cannot do a Diskscan or Defrag because I get a message that there is insufficient memory. I have had the same memory problem with a Basic program I wrote. A Diskscan is done automatically when I reboot after Windows was not shut down properly. I believe the problems stem from the fact that the c:\ of my previous computer was copied to this one so this one had two Windows and mixes up which files to use on occasions. I have raised this matter on Computer Hope and some remedies carried out. I would have to go back to check on the details. I need to do this Word edit quickly so I will concentrate on that by shutting down all other programs, including Firefox. I will get back on the Internet several times a day for a short period only to check on Computer Hope.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 05:40:08 PM »
                that 192MB of RAM would be enough- but it sounds like you might have a lot of programs running in the background (stuff you've installed that thinks it's important enough to run all the time)- How many items do you have in your task list?
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.