Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Age old topic:  Apple vs. PC  (Read 6436 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Age old topic:  Apple vs. PC
    « on: May 18, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »
    My hubby and I just had this argument tonight.  He used to be a strickly pc man until he thought he made a  valid point about our present computer.  We have Windows ME, which I've learned recently, it sucks!  He suggested perhaps we should consider switching to a MAC - the odasity!  >:( I said that we should get a new operating system (Windows XP) or a new computer but his response was "you're always trying to reach for that Golden Goose that will make our computer problems disappear".  I've always strongly believed in the PC.  Please, somebody convince me that I'm right!

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Age old topic:  Apple vs. PC
      « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »
      I sit here in awe at the speed & stability of my work computer , it's nothing flash.
      Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512Mb of RAM, Windows2000.
      The last BSoD I saw was on a 486 with Win98.

hywaydave

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:36:43 PM »
      Windows ME is a piece of crap.  Tell me something... how old is your hardware that you're running ME on?  You may get away with just buying the XP OS and installing it.  Post your CPU, Video card, and RAM info for us.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:00:20 PM »
        My CPU is Pentium III, video card is Creative SB Live!, & Ram is 256MB of Ram.  The hardware is 5 years old.  I hope I got all the specs right, since I'm sort of new to this. If you've seen my other postings under "Internet Explorer" and "Virus Software" I am strongly considering getting XP, but I'm a little hesitant.  :-/The  'what if's ' are constantly in the back of my mind, especially after reading other forums about problems installing XP over ME.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 12:04:54 AM »
          MarleneD.....I'm not one to run down someone elses operating system .......but without a doubt ME has to be the worst O/S ever devised by anyone .......( Merlin will strongly disagree with me ) By the sounds of your description of your pc .....XP will run very nicely on it ....
          You haven't a lot of Ram , but if its that age its probably SD pc133 ram and it's fairly inexpensive.
          Computer problems usually stem from ...........THE OPERATORS and of course win ME .

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 12:05:24 AM by dl65 »
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 12:16:21 AM »
            Win2000 is far less demanding than xp.  ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 08:21:50 AM »
            Your PIII w/256MB RAM will operate with no problem with WinXP.  I've been using WinXP-Pro on a PIII-500 w/160MB RAM with no problems at all and it's actually faster than Win2k-Pro.  It boots up in half the time.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

BTW, I used to have several Macs.
            « Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 08:23:16 AM by Computer_Commando »

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 12:45:50 PM »
              Hi Computer_Commando,
              So, why didn't you stick with Macs?  
              Well, now I'm feeling more confident about installing XP.  Here's another question:  If I buy a new computer that comes with XP do you all think I can then take the XP software and install it on my old computer (ME)?  Or, is there some kind of license protection that won't allow that? Just wondering.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 12:55:25 PM »
                MarleneD..... " If I buy a new computer that comes with XP do you all think I can then take the XP software and install it on my old computer (ME)?"     Officially No....but , there are ways ......( And you didnt hear that from me )

Hope this helps

hywaydave

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »
                The problem with buying PCs from the store or directly from Dell is that they don't ship you the stand-alone OS on a cd.  They usually give you a restore disc.  Plus, you're not going to be able to have XP on your new machine, and install the same XP license on a different machine because both will need to be activated with M$.  I recommend just buying the full XP version, not the upgrade version, and install that on your current machine.  Your hardware is fine, I was running XP on a PII 400 with 256 mb RAM and it ran fine.  Also, I find that Windows 2000 takes too long to boot, and that the OS slows down after being on for awhile.  XP is much better!  Of course if you have the money, might as well buy a new computer  ;D
                Either way... you need to dump Win ME!  
                « Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 12:58:21 PM by hywaydave »

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                  « Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 02:18:43 PM »
                  Hey hywaydave,
                  I think you deserve another star.  I had forgotten that the CD provided is only a restore disc.  Now, I've seen XP home edition (?) and XP pro.  The difference is the pro is ~$100 more (~$300). Not sure which to get.
                  I still want a new computer, though. :)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 02:34:28 PM »

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                      « Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 04:10:18 PM »
                      O.k. dl65, now I'm confused again.  What's the difference between an OEM XP and one that is not OEM?
                      Is it  exactly the same system?
                      Thanks for tiger website!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 05:26:04 PM »
                      Hi Computer_Commando,
                      So, why didn't you stick with Macs?..

It's all about application software.  Mac wouldn't run AutoCAD, OrCAD, etc. and it was becoming evident that it would be a "Windows World".

It was an unusual Mac, it had a PC card and could run both OS at the same time, using the same monitor, keyboard and mouse.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 07:26:51 PM »
                        MarleneD.....OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer )
                        OEM XP would normally be installed on one PC and the serial code for registration would be physically attached to the pc case its being installed on . There isnt any full blown manual or any fancy packaging with OEM cd's .
                        I believe the license fee paid to M/S may also be less than the RETAIL version .

RETAIL Version ........ The operating system is the same as OEM ......the only real differance is that it comes with its own box , user manual and again it's own serial code used for registration. The real differance is that a Retail version may be installed on any pc ( provided it only installed on one at a time )...as opposed to the OEM version which is only supposed to be installed on the pc , it either came with or was purchased to install on .

If you purchase a Dell or HP for example , you will not receive a authentic M/S operating system . You will receive a set of install /restore disks which contain propietory software ......( this is done to save a few $ in license fees )

Hope this helps