Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How many times have you reinstalled any Windows version on your personal computer(s)?

Never
1 (4%)
once
4 (16%)
twice
1 (4%)
3 times
1 (4%)
4 times
3 (12%)
5 times
1 (4%)
6-9 times
3 (12%)
10 or more times
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: How many times have you reinstalled any Windows version on your computer(s)?  (Read 7135 times)

squall_01

Prodigy

exatly but its hard for me to do that at times cause I dont have a good connection but at any rate if I could a while ago all my machines would have been just windows. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    I voted for 10+.
    My installs have a habit of either staying for a good long time, because I'm careful, or getting hosed quickly because I'm testing something (this was before I started using virtual machines).
    I wouldn't like to guess how many times I've installed or reinstalled OSes from NT4 to Vista on all the machines I own or have owned, probably upwards of 100.

squall_01

Prodigy

I have a xp pc that just for testing an not active so I suppose its more then what I was thinking.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      If I recall correctly:

Win XP on my main desktop PC: initially installed 5/14/04 and never reinstalled since then.  I don't anticipate reinstalling until I upgrade the motherboard and CPU, which I would like to do soon.

On my Vista Laptop, purchased in July 2007, reinstalled the OS once after having it a few months.

Going back to an older computer with Win 98SE, reinstalled Win 98SE several times, not sure of exact number of times.

Going back to Win 3.1 and Win 95, I can't recall exactly but I believe there were a few re-installations of each.  I once transferred a hard drive with Win 95 from a Pentium (the above PC that had been upgraded to Win 98SE) to a 486 and got Win 95 working on the 486 without installing from scratch.  I know that's not the normal way to install an OS but Win 95 came on an OEM disk and I was not sure whether it could be installed on the 486.  Both computers were Packard Bell.  When I did this, Win 95 repeatedly displayed the Found New Hardware wizard and I eventually got all device drivers properly updated and the 486 then ran fine with that "installation" of Win 95. 

Igor_Munster

Rookie

I used to do a fresh install every 6 months.  Now I use Acronis and I still reinstall every 6-9 months but it is A LOT quicker now.
        If you can read this, thank an English teacher.
        If you can read this in English, thank a soldier!

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        10 or more

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Dribbling Pensioner
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Familiar
        never reinstalled no need to , OR HAVE I ??

WyattSoft

Beginner

I've had to reinstall XP 3 times:

• First time some software didn't really like XP and overwrote critical system files (and somehow made the HDD read only)
          • Second time got infected with a dailer which McAfee couldn't detect (Piece of crap)
          • Third time the HDD was failing so I installed on a new drive.

I'm planning on getting a new drive for my Vista machine, so it would be 4 in the near future.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
          • The wonders of modern technology.
            Wow if I thought you were talking in total on different machines that I've owned and used over the years, I would have clicked 10 or more.
            I clicked on 9 just for Win XP PRO.

I have had Windows from version 3.11 onwards, so that would have been 4 installs, moved on to Win95 x2, 98 x2, 98SE x4, W2K x3, 2000 PRO, XP and then XP PRO x 9.
            That doesn't include drives dying and formatting to reinstall, mainly XP.
            Hmmm I wonder if that's a Windows fault .... maybe the user.

Oh and for those that might ask... Yes they are all legal copies.. Hahaha  ::)
            It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.