Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bandwidth  (Read 4589 times)

alexander hsdkfhkssd76

Bandwidth
« on: May 24, 2005, 04:31:43 PM »
Why is it that I download stuff at 4kb/s when I have a 56k modem?  Shouldn't it be higher? Is there any way I can make stuff download faster? (btw, I am using windows 98 and AOL ver 9.0)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »
I'm guessing this is a Dial-up connection? It does not matter so much for dial-up how fast your modem can go, but how fast AOL will let you go... How much bandwidth does AOL allow for you?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 04:54:37 PM »
    You are reading your download speed in kilobytes but your modem is rated in kilobits.
    It's all bits & bytes to me and not to be confused with the connection speed between your computer & your modem. I found this for your reading pleasure  :)

There is often confusion about bandwidth due to the difference between kilobytes and kilobits. Bits are used to talk about data transfer rates (1 kilobit = 1000 bits), while bytes are used to talk about storage size calculations (1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes). There are 8 bits in a byte. So a 28.8 Kbps (kilobits per second) modem can actually only handle a maximum of 3.6 KB/s (kilobytes per second) of data, including the connection to the ISP, the data holding the TCP/IP packets together, and other essential information. Given all these facts together, your download speeds will often be slower than the "potential" advertised.

alexanderhsdkfhkssd76

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:24:47 PM »
    thank you!! ;D  I thought my modem was like messed up or sumtin....Thnx.