What is a computer virus?
A computer virus is a software program that has been intentionally created to cause a user grief, spread to other computers, or destroy data on an individual's computer. To help prevent a computer from becoming infected by a virus, software developers have developed antivirus programs that stay active on the computer helping to protect it.
Note: Many computers do not come pre-loaded with an antivirus installed and computers that may include an antivirus often expire within 90 days.
- What are the current available antivirus programs?
- How does an antivirus work?
- Computer viruses questions and answers.
- Complete computer virus information and help.
- See our virus definition for further information on this term and related links.