The formatting toolbar is a toolbar in Microsoft Office applications, such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, that gives the user the ability to change the formatting of selected text.
Options available in the formatting toolbar
- Change the font.
- Change the size of the font.
- Make the text bold, italics, or underline.
- Change the alignment.
- Change the style to currency, percent, or comma.
- Increase or decrease the decimal and indent.
- Change the borders.
- Fill (highlight) the text.
- Change the font color.
How to enable the formatting toolbar
If you are running Office 2003 applications or earlier versions, like Word 2003 or Excel 2003, click View and then Toolbars. In the Toolbars sub-menu, click the Formatting option to enable the formatting toolbar.
New versions of Office products, from Office 2007 and later, use the Ribbon instead of the formatting toolbar. Most of what was found in the formatting toolbar can be found on the Home or Write tab of the Ribbon.