LibreOffice is a free, open-source suite of office productivity software. It contains applications for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, database management, and graphics editing. It is compatible with other office productivity suites including Microsoft Office. It runs on Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux.
How to get LibreOffice
You can download the LibreOffice suite from the official LibreOffice website.
Additional LibreOffice information
LibreOffice was first released on September 28, 2010 by "The Document Foundation" as a beta version based on the OpenOffice.org 3.3 beta version. The first stable version was released on January 25, 2011. The software suite includes:
- Writer (word processor, compatible with Microsoft Word)
- Calc (spreadsheet editor, compatible with Microsoft Excel)
- Impress (presentation software, compatible with Microsoft PowerPoint)
- Base (database management, compatible with Microsoft Access)
- Draw (vector graphics editor)
- Math (mathematical formula creation and editing)
It is estimated that about 10 million people worldwide use the LibreOffice suite on either Windows or macOS X, and another 15 million use it on Linux.