The term office may refer to any of the following:
1. In general, an office is a name given to a location or room where someone works or business takes place.
2. Microsoft Office is a software suite developed and published by Microsoft. It is widely used in business and educational environments to create, view, and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
What is included in Microsoft Office?
The software included in Microsoft Office depends on the type of Office suite being purchased. The basic, or standard Office suite includes the following.
- Microsoft Word (word processor / word processing)
- Microsoft Excel (spreadsheet)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (presentation program)
- Microsoft Outlook (e-mail client)
The more advanced or professional Office suite includes the software above and some or all of the following.
- Microsoft Access (database)
- Microsoft OneNote (collaboration tool)
- Microsoft Publisher (desktop publishing)
- Microsoft Visio (diagrams / flowchart)
History of Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office was first introduced to the market by Bill Gates on August 1, 1988, at a computer trade show in Las Vegas. The first official release of Office was for the Macintosh computer, named Microsoft Office for Mac, and was released on August 1, 1989.
About a year later, on November 19, 1990, Microsoft released Office for Windows computers, named Microsoft Office for Windows.
Microsoft Office in the cloud
The last version of Office designed specifically for use on a computer was Office 2013. After that version, Microsoft pushed Office to the cloud to keep up with the growing cloud computing movement. Microsoft re-branded Office for the cloud as Microsoft Office 365 and provides access to it through a fee-based annual subscription. The yearly fee marked another change for Microsoft Office, as it was previously available for a one-time cost.
Users who purchase Office 365 can access and use the Office suite on the Internet, any computer, and any location. Files created in Office 365 can be shared with other users of Office 365, as well.
For those users who prefer to have software installed on their computer Microsoft allows Office 365 subscribers to download and install the Office suite on up to 5 computers. Users can enjoy the full range of Office suite programs directly on their computer, and still use the cloud version of Office 365 at any time.
3. When referring to a type of software, an office program is used in an office environment. Office programs can include a word processor, spreadsheet program, e-mail, and presentation program.
Business terms, Clippy, Cubicle, iWork, Job, LibreOffice, Office 365, Office Online, OpenOffice, Presentation program, Software suite, Software terms, SOHO, Spreadsheet, StarOffice, Task pane, Virtual office, Word processor, Word processor terms