A network administrator is an individual or group of individuals responsible for the maintenance and operation of a network or server.
Network administrator responsibilities
A network administrator may be responsible for more than just maintaining a network and may be assigned to one or more of the below tasks.
- Allocating and adding disk storage space.
- Designing or redesigning the network.
- Expanding the network.
- Helping employees with computer questions.
- Installing and upgrading computers and network equipment on the network.
- Managing filters and rules (e.g., ACL's, firewalls, QoS, spam filters).
- Monitoring the network.
- Resetting usernames and passwords.
- Setting up a network, network device, or computers on the network.
- Testing a network for security vulnerabilities.