Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Jorma J. Rissanen
Born: October 20, 1932, in Pielisjärvi (now Lieksa), Finland
- IBM researcher since 1960 and an information theorist, known for inventing the arithmetic coding technique of lossless data compression, and the minimum description length principle.
- Optimal Estimation of Parameters (2012).
Honors and awards
- IEEE Claude E. Shannon Award (2009).
- Kolmogorov Medal (2006).
- Golden Jubilee Award for Technological Innovation from the IEEE Information Theory Society (1998).
- IEEE Richard W. Hamming Medal (1993).