Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Joseph Henry
Born: May 17, 1797, in Albany, New York, USA
Death: May 13, 1878 (Age: 80)
- American scientist who discovered the electromagnetic phenomenon of self-inductance.
- He also discovered mutual inductance independently of Michael Faraday, though Faraday was the first to publish his results.
- Inventor of the electric doorbell (1831) and relay (1835).
- The SI unit of inductance, the henry, is named in his honor. Henry's work on the electromagnetic relay was the basis of the electrical telegraph, invented by Samuel Morse and Charles Wheatstone separately.
Honors and awards
- Inducted into the Hall of Fame for Great Americans in the Bronx, New York (1915).