1. Short for Packet InterNet Groper, ping is a utility used to verify whether or not a network data packet is capable of being distributed to an address without errors. The ping utility is commonly used to check for network errors.
The image is an example of what happens when a ping is sent. The user would first start by using the ping command to ping the IP address 126.96.36.199. Next, the request is sent over the network hub and router, in this example, to the other computer with this IP address. Once successfully received, the computer replies to the ping with a pong response. The time between these two transmissions is calculated to generate an average response or latency time.
In the above example, we access the Windows command line to use the ping command. Then we ping "computerhope.com" and get four responses from the server. In the above example, each reply has the size of the packet (bytes), the time it took in ms, and the TTL.
The ping command output can also be directed to a file instead of the command prompt window. Working with the example ping command above, we could use the following command.
ping computerhope.com > ping.txt
The above command will output the results of pinging computerhope.com to a file named ping.txt. The file will be created in the directory where the ping command was executed. In the first example above, the directory is c:\cgi-bin\update and this is where the ping.txt file will be created. To change the directory where the output file is created, we can enter a different directory in the ping command itself, as in the example below.
ping computerhope.com > c:\output\ping.txt
The above example command will create the ping.txt file in the c:\output directory instead of c:\cgi-bin\update.
- How to ping an IP address or website.
- Why can I not ping microsoft.com, amazon.com, or other site?
- Computer network and network card help and support.
2. In computer gaming, a ping, also known as a high ping or low ping, is a measurement of how fast of a connection to the game server the player has. For example, a player with a low 50 ms ping is going to have a better gaming experience than a player with a 250 ms ping.
Note: To help with server response times, some game servers may only accept users who have a low ping.