Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need additional components for new build. Will these all work together for F@H?  (Read 3582 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I have an ATX full tower case, Phenom II X4 810 CPU, WD 320 Gb SATA 3.0 hard drive, Sony SATA DVD drive, and Vista Buisness x64 OS. I need some more components for a new build. This machine will mainly be dedicated to only run Folding @ Home 24/7 for the Computer Hope team.

Specs for the Phenom II X4 810 CPU are here

Here are the additional components I've selected for this build mainly based on low cost. If something is not compatible please advise.

1 -  Foxconn A9DA AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard Model #:A9DA

4 -  PNY Optima 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD4096SD3-1333

1 -  KINGWIN ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V v2.2/ BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply Model #:ABT-750MM

1 -  ARCTIC COOLING ACFZA30 120mm Fluid Dynamic Freezer A30 AMD CPU Cooler for Enthusiasts Model #:ACFZA30

I'll have to buy GPU's later due to lack of $ right now. The MBoard has ATI Radeon HD 4290 I can use for now.

As always thanks for any help!
Mike

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Good afternoon lectrocrew

This will be a nice build and will be a KILLER rig!!!  ;D ;D and these suggestions are just that "mine" and past experiences on system builds / upgrades.   

OK this is just my opinion I have not used "Foxconn MoBo's" but that one you have listed is not getting good reviews. Most builds that I do tend be done with "MSI, Gigabyte, Intel, Asus" MoBo's. I also tend to stay away from ECS also most of there MoBo's have a high failure rate. If you don't mind a MATX these boards look nice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130638 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795 and for full size ATX boards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767 The MATX tend to be cheaper and the full size ATX are more :'(

The memory "PNY Optima" speed / size wise you should be more than enough. But of new memory I have replaced more PNY than any other brand that have failed new or shortly afterwards. On my builds I have had the greatest luck with Kingston / Crucial ram

Power supplies Kingwin does make some good ones but my self the replacements of PS tend to be "Antec / Corsair / Thermaltake / OCZ.

CPU fan that is nice unit and I have used it may times before and it does a great job.  ;D I would not put anything any bigger on the MoBo because these are top heavy. So with this being built with a ATX tower over a period of time the MoBo will warp a little around the CPU not to bad but it does a little.

And again this is my opinion but if you are buy a OS why not go with W7 instead of Vista? W7 runs better, less overhead and overall performs much better but again I don't know if you already have Vista or not?

This is really nice of you this is a lot of $$$$$ to shell out for what you are going to use it for.

What are  you going to be doing for video? using the on-board I am assuming?

Please understand I am not trying to rain on your parade  ;D ;D ;D

Good luck in what ever you decide to build with and let us know what you come up with, Mike 

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
I agree these components have quality issues but $ is so tight with this build...
I must have a MoBo that supports SLI/Crossfire because I do intend to run multiple GPU's and I prefer PCI Express 2.0 x16 expansion slots because I already have this GeForce GTX 260 as one of the GPU's. That GPU is in this machine I built in 2009 - (my sister in Ocala FL uses that machine now so I'll have to make a trip to exchange the parts and that 1400 mile roundtrip won't happen until September). I can also retrieve my Corsair 850w PSU while I'm there.) I'll just need to purchase an inexpensive GPU, something like this $29.99 card, to take to FL to replace the GTX-260 with. All she does with the machine is surf the internet so the $49.99 Kingwin 750w PSU should support her needs from now on.

The memory "PNY Optima" speed / size wise you should be more than enough. But of new memory I have replaced more PNY than any other brand that have failed new or shortly afterwards. On my builds I have had the greatest luck with Kingston / Crucial ram

I've run PNY purchased from Best Buy (because it's local here in MS) in both my laptaps and a desktop with excellent service - but I've also had problems with PNY in the past. I'll heed your advise about memory brand + I'll need to research this memory subject further with Nathan or some of the Folding guru's on the F@H support forum. I'm thinking it can fold more efficiently based on speed, Cas Latency, Voltage, ect. rather than quantity. I'll post back to this thread what I learn and which memory I decide on. 4 x 4Gb may be a waist of $ if the other criteria is less than optimal for F@H.

And again this is my opinion but if you are buy a OS why not go with W7 instead of Vista? W7 runs better, less overhead and overall performs much better but again I don't know if you already have Vista or not?

Vista is already purchased. I run F@H v7.1.52 with W7 x64 on my HP2000 machine and v7.1.52 with Vista x64 on my HP Compaq 6715b machine. The only main differences I've seen is processor speed and RAM speed. Difference between W7 and Vista OS's seems to not be important enough to make an addition OS purchase.

Please understand I am not trying to rain on your parade  ;D ;D ;D
Please do. We need rain and I certainly value your knowledge, time and effort!!! Thanks again  ;)