Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Secret Proprietary Partition Prevents OS Restore?  (Read 4296 times)

PCRepairGuy

Secret Proprietary Partition Prevents OS Restore?
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:27:07 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I sincerely hope that someone has the right diagnosis & especially the solution to my problem.  I have researched on the internet for many hours and have found next to little helpful information.  I am fixing someone else's eMachine which is no longer under warranty.
I do not believe it ethically right to have to pay a company for a solution to a problem that should not exist.  At a minimum, the answer should be easily available in their technical documentation.
I appreciate any time & help that you are able to provide!!

My Scenario:
My friend had a problem they couldn't figure out so they decided to use their "Recovery CD's" to do a complete overwrite of their system.  During this process an error would occur preventing its completion.  I figured out the 1st CD had a blemish and restored the CD.  I also discovered that the HD had a fatal error that could only be corrected by doing an RMA back to the manufacturer.  The HD was no longer under warrenty so it wasn't worth it.  I bought an exact make/model of the original HD and installed that.  The "Recovery" process now works without any problems.

My Problem:
After the "Recovery" process completes the system then reboots so that Windows XP can finish its "1st Run" Setup.
When I specifically get to the point of assigning a computer name the setup process freezes.
Please Note:
1.  Skipping this point doesn't work.
2.  Accepting the default computer name doesn't work.
3.  Creating my own computer name doesn't work.
Also Note:
1.  This HD was refurbished by the manufacturer.
2.  The HD passed the manufactorer's own utility testing system run from DOS.
3.  I did not FDISK or FORMAT the HD prior to running the Recovery CDs.
4.  I did not have any attached Ethernet cables, USB devices, or internal PCI devices.
5.  I used a PS/2 mouse & keyboard during the setup.

My Research:
I put in many keywords trying to figure out the cause of this situation.  The closest probable cause I've determined is that these blasted corporations are creating a very small partition on the HD they send in a machine.  This partition is hidden apparently from the normal viewing including possibly FDISK.  This hidden partition contains proprietary information that the "Recovery" Process uses to verify it is ok to install.  So now I do have a new HD that works but doesn't have the proprietary data to complete the "Recovery" process.  To my knowledge I can't access the old HD even though the BIOS does recognize the old HD's existence.  Other than paying outragious tech support fees (which doesn't mean a solution either), I just cannot figure out a solution to this problem.

Thanks again for your time & help in this matter!!

My Computer Specs:
Make/Model = eMachine T2895
CPU:  Intel® Celeron® 2.80GHz Processor (28KB L2 cache & 400MHz FS)
Operating System:  Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home  
Chipset:  Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory:  512MB DDR (PC 2100)
Hard Drive:  Maxtor 120GB HDD (5400 RPM, Model Type: 4R120L0
Optical Drive:  48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Video:  Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
64MB Shared memory
Sound:  AC '97 Audio
Network:  10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem:  56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals:  Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Standard Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other:  6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions:  7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

pcj240ross

Re: Secret Proprietary Partition Prevents OS Resto
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
I once bought a refirb HD and the boot sector pin was missing and had similar problems, you may want to check that. Shame on them if they sent you one that has a missing HD pin.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:50:23 PM »
Test the RAM.

Is this a Laptop or a desktop?

Rickeytackey

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:00:17 AM »
here one thing you can try.
If you have the windows XP key for this computer and a windows xp home cd .
 you may want to try hand loading it .

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:47:46 AM »
    Try another hard drive

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

PCRepairGuy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:04:49 AM »
    Thank You pcj240ross,
    I double-checked the HD and all the pins are in place.  That was a definitely a good suggestion.

Thank You Raptor,
    I didn't expect the RAM to be an issue.  I do believe in being thorough so I am currently running AleGr Memory Tester in DOS mode.
    It is using the option of /ignorexmm since a halting error occured otherwise.
    It detected & is scanning 504Mb of the rated 512Mb stick.
    If it detects a memory error then I will make another reply but otherwise assume it is error-free.
    Good suggestion of another possible cause in this matter.

Note:  [highlight]This is a Desktop unit.[/highlight]

Thank You Rickeytackey,
    It did occur to me to just install a fresh OS on the system and not deal with this hassel.  And if I find no other solution I will have to do that.
    Unfortunately, I never bought XP Home.  I have all Windows versions except Millenium & Home.. LOL
    Definitely a good suggestion, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

PCRepairGuy

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:15:48 AM »
    Thank You ale52,

Trying another HD would be a wonderful possibility but there are a couple things preventing me.
    1. If I use any HD other than the same Make/Model then the "Restore" process won't have the correct drivers in the image that is placed on the HD.
    2. I don't have access to this exact Make/Model other than what I had to purchase already.
    3. I can't justify purchasing another exact HD for the sake of seeing if that is the solution when I have discovered in my research this apparent "Hidden Partition" that is highly the probable cause.
    Your suggestion is definitely worthwhile but I haven't had that computer warehouse built yet in my backyard ... lol.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 11:45:17 AM »
      I've done many restores of eMachines (as well as HP, Dell...you get the picture  ;)) using a hdd right out of the box from the manufacturer....not the same brand/size as the original.

The recovery cd should re-create the original regardless of the brand/size you put in.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »
      The HDD size and make should have no bearing on a restore recovery as they do not require drivers...

patio.  8-)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Neil

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        « Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 04:21:04 AM »
        You could try coping the image of the first harddrive to the new one? I suggest you do a full format of the new one too.
        « Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:21:20 AM by Neil »

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
          « Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:40:42 AM »
          I suggest you get a Real XP disk.

I have no concerns as to how yo get it. you may try the methods i would employ , you have a valid licence so i would not worry about legality. but i cant explain said methods as that would mean id be telling you how to do bad thing's
          Just borrow one off your office.

Any way, Get an XP disk install the Old fashioned way it should work fine.

Hard Drives are Generic make and model make little odds to where they work.
          Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

PCRepairGuy

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 11:07:02 AM »
          Thank You Again ale52,

I appreciate your experience & encouraging advice.
          I did use another HD of a different make/model.
          The HD was a group of 4 that I bought a few months ago that were fresh from the manufacturer.
          I already had used 2 of the 4 HD's and they worked perfectly so I don't have any doubts about this one.
          I went ahead and did the recovery on this new HD and, unfortunately I still have the same problem in the exact same place.

Note:  [highlight]I set the jumper to Cable Select on each HD I tested.[/highlight] There are no other devices attached to this cable.  The other IDE slot carries the two CD drives on it.  Could this be the source of the problem?  
          « Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 11:32:21 AM by PCRepairGuy »

PCRepairGuy

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »
          Thank You patio,

I apologize for using incorrect verbiage regarding that HD's use drivers.
          But I do know that a Windows OS does recognize any HD with an identifiable communication system and therefore when you research your device manager you are able to see each HD's properties and what files Windows uses to talk with the HD.
          Since this particular "Recovery" process does an image of the original install that identified a particular HD's serial number and such, then it makes sense that imaging onto a different HD (even a different make/model) would cause some problems that the Windows install can't identify or correct.
          I know readers only want to see the facts and appreciate a person who can use the fewest words possible but still give all the needed information.
          Thus that is why I expressed as a HD having drivers.  My apologies again for the miscommunication.

PCRepairGuy

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 11:38:58 AM »
          Thank You Neil,

That is a great suggestion & I had already tried that before posting here.
          I have the program called HDClone which I initiated.
          Unfortunately, even in DOS the image program would only recognize the new HD and not the original one.
          If there is an alternative program out there that doesn't cost your life savings and you are confident would be worth trying then I would definitely appreciate knowing about it.

PCRepairGuy

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 11:43:01 AM »
          Thank You panboy,

I totally agree with you.  This would save me a lot of time and frustration by just installing a regular OS onto the system and be done with this.
          That is actually my last option of which I've already informed my friend about.
          The reason why I'm trying to figure this out is because I'm sure there were several additional programs that came with the system that my friend would then have to reaquire.
          I do hope for the best & strive for the best before finally settling for less.. LOL