Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems witha SONY VAIO Desktop  (Read 18330 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Problems witha SONY VAIO Desktop
    « on: February 20, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
    I was so successful yesterday in the resolution of a computer problem with the generous assistance of a forum member that today again I seek the help of able members of the Computer Hope forum community. This is a problem that is associated with a different computer. It is a Sony Vaio model PCV-842 or PCV-7764 (depending whether I use the number on the front or the rear of the tower. Specs. Are AMD Athlon XP processor (I believe about 2400 GHz), 512 MB ram, floppy drive, CD-rw, dvd-rom, win XP-home. I can state that it is unmodified from its factory state as to hardware—software I cannot say.
       It will boot and shows the “Sony” logo. Then the next (maybe a 2nd because I do get a window showing the contents of the computer insofar as hardware) window is a DOS window displaying at the top “We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.” I have the choice of “F1” or “F2”. When I select “startup in any of the “safe mode “ options it always runs through a scrolling DOS sequence and the last item in about a page and a half of data displayed is ”multi (0) disk (0) Rdisk (0) partition (1) windows\system32\drivers\MUP.SYS” If I do the “last known good configuration” option it results in a horizontal ½ inch wide white bar about one inch up from the bottom of an otherwise blank black page. If I chose the “start windows normally “ option it does the 30 second automatic countdown and when it gets to “0” it just freezes there and the only way to move on is to shut the computer off from the on/off button on the computer. By some manner I was able (cannot remember how I got there) I have been occasionally able to get to a blue screen window where at the upper left it says “windows setup”. The bottom of the screen runs for a quite awhile displaying a constantly changing stream of data. It finally stops at “setup is starting windows” and stalls there. The history of this computer is that I bought it at a company bankruptcy in the Atlanta area last Nov. It has no Administrator or any other password protection on it. All of the hardware devices associated with it are denoted correctly at boot on the DOS page. I have no personal data on it and no need to keep or retrieve any other data or programs that are on it either. If it should be necessary I do have Windows XP-pro sp2 on a CD-r with a multiple use user access code that I can use to regain the use of the computer if it should be necessary. However I do not know how to perform that function and I am somewhat fearful of going there. If any other information is required please advise and I will endeavor to provide it. Thank you. truenorth

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Problems witha SONY VAIO Desktop
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:33:19 PM »
    No need to double post ;).

8-)fffreak
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »
    No need to double post ;).

8-)fffreak
    This post is locked and I don't see the other post. If it was in fact a double-post simply removing the additional post and mentioning it in the non-removed post should be sufficient.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »
    Regarding the question. If you're unable to boot into normal or safe mode unfortunately you're likely experiencing a hardware related issue. I did some searching and did read lots of posts about connected USB devices causing this issue.

Because of this I would suggest try disconnecting all USB related devices from the computer and see if you can get into safe mode. If you're using a USB keyboard may want to temporarily try a PS/2 keyboard.

If that doesn't work it's possible this issue could also be caused by a IDE/HDD related issue. See if you're able to restore Windows using the Windows Setup CD. Boot the computer with the CD and make sure to press any key to boot from the CD as it's starting and try re-running Windows setup.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    « Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 07:10:09 AM »
    He deleted the second post.
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:03:40 AM »
      Administrator,Thank you for unlocking my post.I feel you may have confused my 2 posting as to your comments and suggestions re my Sony Vaio problem stated above with the problems in my "hardware" post on the "Compaq" (which by the way are now resolved in large part due to the able assistance of another forum member).I have no knowledge of any USB devices connected to the Vaio.Certainly none have been done by me as i have yet to get this computer running since aquisition.I strongly suspect that the problem is as Uesquebeathus has stated is what is causing it "an interupted process". I am now at the stage of hoping someone will guide me to a format and reinstall of the operating system. I do have a valid cd-r of the xp-pro sp2 O/S.However i have never done this and would not want to make a mistake. I am not all that familiar with the process in XP has up until recently i was using Win98SE. On the Win98 i am aware that a floppy disk is required to do the format reinstall . I don,t know if XP requires a floppy as well. If so i do not have one--only the cd-r with key.truenorth

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 02:05:24 PM »
      He deleted the second post.
      Ok. Just some user confusion.
      -Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »
      Administrator,Thank you for unlocking my post.I feel you may have confused my 2 posting as to your comments and suggestions re my Sony Vaio problem stated above with the problems in my "hardware" post on the "Compaq" (which by the way are now resolved in large part due to the able assistance of another forum member).I have no knowledge of any USB devices connected to the Vaio.Certainly none have been done by me as i have yet to get this computer running since aquisition.I strongly suspect that the problem is as Uesquebeathus has stated is what is causing it "an interupted process". I am now at the stage of hoping someone will guide me to a format and reinstall of the operating system. I do have a valid cd-r of the xp-pro sp2 O/S.However i have never done this and would not want to make a mistake. I am not all that familiar with the process in XP has up until recently i was using Win98SE. On the Win98 i am aware that a floppy disk is required to do the format reinstall . I don,t know if XP requires a floppy as well. If so i do not have one--only the cd-r with key.truenorth

XP is actually a bootable CD. You should be able to boot from the CD and start the installation of XP.

You can find the step through process of installing and setting up Windows XP on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000647.htm
      -Albert Einstein

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 06:00:40 PM »
        Administrator,Thank you for the info--will check out the link .I shall be away from home after tomorrow for 6 weeks so probably won't get to it until i return. However rest asured i shall post after i have tried what the link offers. truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 12:00:37 PM »
          Greetings all :)After a 6 week absence i am back and raring to get back to my VAIO computer problem. I have fully read the post and embedded article re re installing Win XP. The results of starting that process are as follows. With the Win Xp CD-r in the computer drive i do get to and conclude up to item 3 in the list.However when item 4 comes up i have the following =the monitor screen is all blue with the following visible on it,at the top upper left are the words "windows setup with 2 lines underneath the words" and a grey bar across the bottom of the screen with the words "setup is starting windows " written on the bar. Pressing enter or any other key on the keyboard does nothing to advance anything. Please advise. Thank you. truenorth

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »
          Hmm with no error message it's difficult to say for sure what would be causing this issue. I'd recommend again to make sure all non-needed USB devices are disconnected from the computer and try the setup again. If that does not work. It's possible since you're using a burn of Windows XP that the burn is bad, you may want to try a different CD or even better a legit XP CD.
          -Albert Einstein

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »
            Administrator, Thank you again for your continued efforts to assist me in my Vaio problem. I must correct some errors and wrong impressions you have made.
            1.I do not now nor have i ever had any USB devices connected to this computer (it may be possible as i mentioned to you earlier that you are confusing a post on another computer that was having a USB connection problem--but it is not the Viao).
            2.While your assumption is correct that the cd-r i am using for the attempt at re-install of XP is a copy--it is a legitimate corporate copy with key and administrator code provided.
            3.This very cd-r has proven to be totally useful to re-install on other computers -it is not a copy of that cd-r it is that cd-r.Thus it is extremely doubtful that the disk is the problem.
            4.Yes you are correct other than no progress no error messages are occuring.
            5.The only error that has occured at startup is the refference to no detectable fan speed (which the mfgr. has informed me is not an issue as it is normal --and anyway i have selected the BIOS to ignore that assesment as it is obviously in error as the fans are all working properly. So don't get siretracked by this item.
            6. i would urge you --or others that may offer ideas--to disregard any factors related to USB devices--there aren't any nor have there ever (since my possesion) been any --even temporarily--connected. it is not relevant.
            7.all hardware devices on the computer are being detected and appear to be operating properly as per the startup page.
            8.during item 3 of the multi step process outlined in your web link no errors (that i observe) occur during the installation of all the devices and it did seem to complete the process.
            9. Is there anything else i can try to move this along?
                     Thank you, truenorth

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Computer Hope
            « Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
            Thanks for all the additional above information I'm sure it will help in troubleshooting this issue even more. Unfortunately however I'm running out of ideas, the only other idea I could come up with was to enter your CMOS setup and look for an option to reset or restore your CMOS default values. Once restored run the setup again.

Information about entering CMOS setup can be found at:
            http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

If that doesn't work make sure this is just a burn of just XP and not XP with SP2. I have encountered some strange issues with CD's created with SP2 also being installed with the initial XP install.

Unfortunately if those suggestions don't work because you know this is a good XP CD my only other thought is that there is a hardware defect with the computer that is causing the setup to fail.

If any other forum members have any suggestions feel free to make them.
            -Albert Einstein

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 12:26:46 PM »
            If it is a legitimate corporate CD you can contact Microsoft. I'm sure they will have some ideas.  ;)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »
              1. Thanks Moderator--i will try your suggestions and keep you posted.
              2.GX1_Man-- obviously you have not tried to get anything (help or otherwise ) from Microsoft--i have both by web and by phone Job doesn't have enough patience for that task. I urge you to TRY it some time.
                   Thanks all,truenorth
              P.S. I also have a brand new in the box unused copy of Solaris 10 os from Sun Microsystems if this leads to an alternative idea.
              « Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:48:20 PM by truenorth »

GX1_Man

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 04:56:15 PM »
              Corporate licensees have super quick access. 1-800-Microsoft is not the number for that.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
                In the hopes of generating some more suggestions and also in my continueing quest to solve this problem myself i ask the following. Does anyone have experience with a software program called "Reg Cure' http://www.windows-error-repair.com/index.php?k=windows+xp&gclid=CK2Z39Lyz4sCFR6AWAodqkJLGg Although as is obvious i cannot use the online check process they offer (as the Vaio is not capable of going online yet)--got to think positive. However they appear to offer a free download which i could use this computer to obtain then transport it either on a floppy or a cd-r to the Vaio.Is there any possibility that doing that will alter things or because the Vaio is hanging where it does will it have no effect? No comments were recieved re the Solaris point. Please don't ababdon me on this one folks. I enjoy a challenge but i do strive for success.Because of the circumstances of my aquisition of this computer it is possible that it may have sat idle for some time. So in case the CMOS had been affected by an uncharged battery (haven't opened it up to check if there even is a battery installed) i pluggd it in and let it run for over 5 hours.Nothing changed. true north

GX1_Man

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 07:43:21 PM »
                A lot of those "Registry Fix" programs are little more than voodoo, and a price is later introduced to fix the things it identifies. CCleaner is safe and free. Save your pennies.  ;)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 07:30:41 AM »
                  GX1_Man,thanks for the input.pretty well what i too was thinking.did an online exchange with another one called "Registry Smart'.The whole conversation was a sales pitch for their product and when i asked if he felt the problem was a "registry related "problem his answer was "i think so"--not very positive i thought.However back to the fundemental question--given you people are really devoted to help and not trying to sell something--do you think it COULD BE a registry problem. if you don't think it could make the situation worse i certainly will try CCleaner and report back ? Will it work if the computer is stalling as the Vaio is or must it be functioning but with errors--if you get my drift? true north

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »
                  Give CCleaner a try and then post back.  ;)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
                    GX1_Man,ok so maybe there is something i am not aware of but i need an explanation.Now that i have CCleaner on a floppy as a downloaded .exe file from their site how do i get it to run on the Vaio that is stuck where it is? Given that i cannot extract the setup function from the floppy on that computer? Given that i cannot access any of the functions that are contained in CCleaner via any of the command functions?I have read the FAQ and help pages on their site and it all seems to pertain to being able to access the program on the computer that it is installed on (as per my observation in my last post).Comments please that will permit my use of CCleaner on the Vaio? truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »
                    That file is too large to fit on a single floppy.

Can you start the computer is safe mode? If so, do it that way.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
                      GX1_Man,
                      1.No the CCleaner .exe file is NOT too large it is just under 1.44 mb (probably so it will fit on a floppy). However that is an unusable file in that mode as to use the program it must be installed from the .exe file (which obviously would be too large for a floppy). However even if i were able to open it from a setup function from the floppy it would still not be on the computer i needs to be on.Even if i were able to extract it and record the software to a cd-r disk i still don't see what good that does me as the Vaio is not able to do anything with it at this point.
                      2.i have tried many ways to try and get into safe mode and thus far been unable. perhaps you have a suggestion on the Vaio as to something i could try to get into safe mode?
                      thanks and standing by. truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 04:38:54 AM »
                      CCleaner is 2.6 megs.

http://ccleaner.com/download/

Where did you download it from?

Have you tried disconnecting ALL add in cards to see if you can boot up properly?

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »
                        GX1_Man, comments=the location i got CCleaner is exactly the same site you link me to. howver the difference in the file size is that for some reason the version i downloaded is 1.36.0.430 and it is around 454kb according to the properties on the file on the floppy.However in regards to your question re "can you get into safe mode"=i ask you to reread my post number 1 on the thread and you will see the clear answer to that question there.now back to downloading the CCleaner (regardless of the version) isn't it going to be a setup file and require an operating computer to open and install it? as you know the Vaio is not in that state yet. So what would be the point in downloading the CCleaner? Now to the "ALL add in cards"=i assume you are talking about hardware pci,etc cards that may have been added since mfgr? If that is so an examination of the rear of the tower indicates only one of the originally closed slots has been removed and it is the lowest one where a 56k modem card is installed. Everything else as far as i can tell is factory. Do you see any benifit potential to my removing the modem card? I can if you think it might change anything. By the way just to give you as much detail as possible i did use both the cd-rw and the dvd-rom to attempt to use the windows xp cd and it seemed to be detected and run on both drives. Standing by,truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »
                        If you can boot a CD, then you might try a repair install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Make sure it is the same version as what is on the machine.

No danger in removing the modem.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »
                          GX1_Man,i have read the linked web site. i have endeavored to follow the instructions that that info provides.however there comes a point when i am doing it that brings me to a window asking for me to insert a "please insert the disk labeled windows automated system recovery disk into the floppy drive.press any key when ready' I don't have a floppy to put in the floppy drive.some how (don't know if i can ever repeat it--i have gotten into a window (1st time i have ever seen it)-via windows setup . seems like i got there from "press any key to boot from cd'--however i have had that command many times before but it never generated the window that i now have displayed. what the window displays is "setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed on your system,or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter .Currently ,setup will load support for the followingmass storage device(s)"
                          next line "<none>
                          next line* "to specify additional SCSI adapters,cd-rom drivers or special disk controllers for use with windows including those for which you have a device supoort disk from a mass storage device manufacturer ,press S
                          next line*if you do not have any device support disks from a mass storage device manufacturer or do not want to specify additional mass storage devices for use with windows ,press enter '
                          bottom of the window= S=specify additional device,enter =continue,F3 =exit."
                          Not knowing how i got here nor what it is saying nor what to do i have left the computer on with the window displayed until you read and digest this and tell me what you think it is saying ,what it means and what you suggest i do.I sure hope this means something that will advance the situation.Please be ultra cautious as to what you believe or think my level of computer savvy and knowledge is. i believe myself to be at that potentially dangerous stage of knowing just enough to get myself into trouble. thanks, standing by, truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 06:43:09 PM »
                            GX1_Man (and anyone else that can contribute). As i always shut down all computers in use at bed time i did not get a reply to my last post prior to the time to do that. So i clicked on enter of the 3 options listed. The end result was that i again ended up at "setup is starting windows" where it again stopped. i hope i am not being abandoned on this one. I notice that currently it is the most viewed thread on the "computer software" forum thus i feel a great number of people seem interested in this topic and are watching it's progress.So come on guys/gals let us hear some new ideas.  :) truenorth
                            I find it almost impossible to believe that with almost 570 "views" that there is not someone out there who has some inovative ideas as to what the problem could be (even GX1_Man seems to have given up).
                            P.P.S I have just reread all the posts in this thread to see if i have missed or failed to do anything that any of you may have suggested. One item did get my attention. In post 12 the Administrator reffered to "possible problems" arising out of the O/S disk being one that contains "SP/2". Well the fact is the one i have does contain that file.However as you can appreciate one does not have all kinds of issues of the O/S (in fact given todays process) it is most often that you don't have any O/S on a disk you just have that marvelous key that the mfgr. and microsoft  attatch to the case. so if that is a the root of the problem with the reinstall i don't see anything i can do about that?
                            P.P.P.S Just in case followers and would be helpers think this is an unusual or rare problem please go and look at the posts at this link i just found  http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1092870888 .
                            « Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:01:52 AM by truenorth »

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »
                               :) ;D As of 4:52 pm est my Sony Vaio is now a fully functioning computer. i want to thank all of those that stayed with me (both the helpers and the viewers on the post). I am very proud to report that NO outside help resolved the issue. It was simple perserverance and stubourness (plus some inovative thinking) that eventually solved it. I would urge all that get discouraged (given the length of time needed) to perservere.truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 04:50:15 PM »
                              And what was the solution to the riddle?

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
                                First what needs to be known is what were my objectives in this post?
                                1.To be able to use a computer (Sony Vaio desktop) that was unuseable
                                2.To be able to use the existing O/S XP that was installed on the computer
                                3.To if unable #2 to install another version of XP Pro SP2 O/S
                                What has been achieved is #1.
                                I believed that the problem was either a software problem or a hardware problem or a combination of both.So as the bulk of the ideas suggested required an operating computer able to recognize and install software--this was not possible.I did try other suggestions like removing after mfgr. hardware--no improvement.So i said to myself--what would give me the best bang for the buck? It seemed to me if the problem were software it probably resided on my system drive (C)> Either as a corruption in my O/S or some other aspect of the computers startup process. So as we all know this software resides on the installed harddrive. So given that i have a lot of harddrives kicking about--remove the harddrive and install another. The one that was in is a Seagate 80gb.The one i replaced it with is a Samsung 80gb. The Samsung had been working in another computer i have.When i installed it i used a windows 98se upgrade cd-r i had to reformat and install an operating system. The end result of that  was to be able to boot the computer into win98se. Now i am in the process of reconfiguring all the associated hardware devices that were installed to run with this new hardrive -that is a work in progress.But at least now i have a computer that works. My eventual intention once i have created an internet connection will be to download the required drivers for the hardware and once i get to that stage i shall reintroduce the Seagate back into the computer as a slave drive and see what i can do with it from that position. Failing my ability to recover the Seagate i will eventually try to install xp pro on the Samsung harddrive. But for the moment i just want to rejoice in being able to finally use the Sony Vaio.truenorth

GX1_Man

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 06:57:25 PM »
                                Keep in mind that Win98 does NOT have to be installed to "upgrade" to XP. There are also a lot of reasons not to try this. A clean install is always the best way to go.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
                                  GX1_Man, Yes i do know that but here is my rational for doing things the way i did.
                                  1.I did KNOW that the o/s (xp-home) on the Seagate h/d (original) was NOT working.
                                  2.I had not been able on the Seagate to overwrite or remove the XP-home o/s and replace it with the XP-pro (corporate) that i have. Thus i cannot be certain of the functionality of the Xp-pro o/s
                                  3.I did know that the Samsung was a working h/d.
                                  4. The Samsung had been a SLAVE in it's previous installation. Thus there was NO o/s on it of any kind.
                                  5.So my decision was to install an o/s i KNEW worked on a h/d that i KNEW worked.
                                  6. I may be able once i get the Samsung recognizing and able to use all the hardware (particularly the 56k modem) to massage and manipulate the Seagate (to be installed as a slave-at least initially) back to life as a h/d with a version of xp running on it. As you know the way things were i could not use the computer at all. So as stated earlier this is a work in progress (but at my age the progress needs to be relatively quick) if i want to be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of all my labour.However with all you guys/gals on the forum to assist me i am confident that progresss and indeed success is quite probable. :) truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 11:56:06 AM »
                                     ;D This will probably be my last post on this topic. However as there has been such a huge viewing of this post i feel duty bound to give you the final outcome of this event. This reply is also posted in the "windows forum" as it relates to an issue also involving this same computer which as is stated here is also resolved.

This is an advisory to those that have posted on this thread and as well to those that may have viewed it and are awaiting a status report.
                                    1.While i have yet to overcome my wife's resistance to "fiddling " with her computer (the Cisnet) my natural couriosity obliged me to experiment with one of my own computers. A Sony Vaio model PCV-RXA 842.This computer and it's problems are related in CH "computer software" ""problem with Sony Vaio Desktop" .
                                    2.Besides the generous help from the CH forum members i could not have achieved the success i have now without the additional help of 2 web sites http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_install.htmhttp://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/w2kprob.shtml .
                                    3. I now have a 3 partition 80gb H/D (Samsung) 2 C&D as FAT32 and a G as NTFS .
                                    4.C contains the original O/S Win98se (upgrade) that finally got the computer running again and G contains the XP-pro (corporate edition).
                                    5. I was initially getting a freeze at the "Windows Setup" again as i did in the other post i mentioned . This was the same problem that was occuring with the original Seagate H/D. This time i used a suggestion in the 'www.le.uk" site to press "F5" when the option to press "F6" comes up during the boot phase. This overcame the freeze and allowed me to complete the O/S (XP-pro) install to a successful result.
                                    6.While i have NOT yet attemted an install to a removable H/D given this experience i do not envisage a problem as as long as the removeable is plugged in and recognized one should be able to direct the O/S install there.
                                    7. In this instance i had to format and create a file sysyem on the 44gb of the Samsung H/D that was recognized but not formated (G). Once both were done it was there that i installed the XP-pro.
                                    8. The only item remaining to declare "mission accompished" is to regain the use of the 80gb Seagate H/D originally installed in the Vaio. Thanks again to all of you that endeavored to assist me in these related issues. truenorth

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
                                      • Yes
                                      • Yes
                                      • Computer Hope
                                    « Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
                                    Thanks for the follow up I'm sure any other members who may have a similar issue will appreciate it.
                                    -Albert Einstein

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 11:10:47 AM »
                                      This post is by way of a little bit of house cleaning. As a result of solving another problem (with regards to a difficulty using internal hdd's in external cases) i have a further (hopefully final) comment on this almost one year ago issue. I believe it may have been my very 1st on CH forums. The HD (a Seagate 80GB internal) which was one of 3 i was endeavoring to use in an external case and that i had never been able to get to work in the Sony Vaio (as per this post) is now totally functional in an external USB case. The material contained on the Seagate (now that i can access it) shows 2 partions. The larger of 58+ GB has absolutely nothing on it. The smaller 10+ GB has a very small amount of program data and a tiny bit of personal data (not mine). The most significant absence is that of an operating system. There is none ,which i believe goes a long way to solving why that computer initially did not function. I am so elated by this situation that i am going to install Linux ubuntu 7.10 on the now available Seagate hd and really get myself in over my head. This will be easily achievable as i have absolutely no experience with Linux and most certainly i am not a programmer.Thanks again to all that had tried to help me on this lengthy issue. :)truenorth