Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linksys  (Read 7456 times)

Linkincubus

Linksys
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:18:04 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm back with another question.  Here goes...

I have a Linksys wireless internet card installed in my computer.  It worked great at the previous address I lived at, and I was able to get internet to my PC through my roommates' cable internet with no problems.  

In my new place, it's not picking up my roomate's internet.  It's finding other peoples' in the area (most of which require a WEP anyway) but not the internet in this household.  Can anyone troubleshoot me through this?  

Thanks much!
Andrew

GX1_Man

Re: Linksys
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 05:19:16 AM »
Did you get a manual on the CD that  came with it? Is this a different roommate?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »
At your current address, is your roommate using a wireless router?  If this is the same roommate you had at the previous address, is the router the same as the one used at that address?

Linkincubus

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »
Different roommate, different router.

The previous roommate had a 2wire router, my new one is using a WebSTAR router.  

I have a handbook that came with it, but the problem is when I search for signal, it finds various signals, just not the one I want and need.  

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »
Does the router also have an Ethernet port or USB port so that you can temporarily connect your laptop to it using a CAT5e patch cable?

Do you know the IP address, administrator's name, and administrator's password for the router so we can help you change the configuration?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:59:49 AM by pcdoc4christ »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
And is your roomate aware you are going to be scarfing his signal ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 10:30:31 AM »

I see you were reading between the lines of my post!

;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »
There's tons of info between the lines...you just have to know where to look.   ;D

Good to have you back, Doc ! !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
LOL!

Linkincubus

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »

He's well aware of the scarfing.   ;)

And there is an ethernet port.  

I'm on the administrator's PC right now, so if you could refresh me on how to obtain the name and password for the router...

Thanks.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »
The user name and password for the router might not be the same as that for the PC, so you will have to ask your friend what this is or have him call the ISP if he got the router from the ISP.  

To configure the wireless settings for the router, you must type the LAN IP address for the router in your Web browser.  To find the IP address for the router, you can check the IP configuration of your friend's PC (i'm assuming, here, that his PC is already successfully using the router as it's gateway to the Internet):  

1. On your friend's PC, click Start > Run.
2. Enter cmd and click OK
3. Type ipconfig and press Enter
4. The group of four numbers next to the words Default Gateway is the router's IP address
5. Open the Web browser on your friend's PC and type that number (with the periods between the numbers) in the address box of the browser and click Go.
6. A page will be displayed in the router where you must enter the user name and password.  The default settings for some routers are Administrator for the user name and Password for the password.

If you get that far, find the option to set the wireless security and set it to no security instead of WEP, or write down the encryption key (which will be several letters and numbers) and enter that in the wireless settings in Windows on your laptop.  If you set it to no security, any laptop or other wireless device will be able to use his router to get to the Internet and possibly get into your laptop or his PC.  

Linkincubus

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 04:04:23 PM »
Once I hit step 5, it takes me to a MSN Search page that says We can't find "the number", and gives me the option to search the number on the web or check the availability of it for a domain name.  There is no page displayed in the router.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
What IP address did you type?  Verify it is exactly the same one as the default gateway in ipconfig.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:35:00 PM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 04:42:38 PM »
In the address line try typing:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx are the numbers that appear in ipconfig for the default gateway (which is the router).

Linkincubus

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 05:12:06 PM »
What IP address did you type?  Verify it is exactly the same one as the default gateway in ipconfig.

I typed the exact four set of numbers, periods and all.  

When I try it with the http:// before the numbers, it gives me a The page cannot be displayed error page.  Hmmmm.