Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer can't boot from disk or system restore on start up [Trying to reformat]  (Read 14856 times)

Rek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have an HP Pavilion a1310 and I'm trying to reformat it, the thing is though when I insert the disk in the hp in windows or before boot up it doesn't read.
    It comes up as a blank even though when I insert it into a vista laptop or my Vaio Xp desktop I can see the Hp disk.

If I hit f10 on boot up nothing happens, if I have the disk inside and hit esc to go to boot menu and try to boot from the disk nothing happens it just sends me to the start in safe mode screen. If I let windows start and open the disk drive there are "no files" on it. Please help. : \

Its a Media center 2005

Dias de verano

What disk are you using?

billrich

Rek wrote:
    "If I hit f10 on boot up nothing happens."

If you want the safe mode, hold F8 down ( or tap F8 ) as you boot.  A menu will appear and you may choose the safe mode with a command prompt.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867

billrich

Hello Rek,

Good Luck with the reformat problem.  Let us know how you fixed it.
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:53:14 PM by billrich »

billrich

REK,

http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html

<<<<"
    Formatting and Installing from the Windows XP CD
    Step1This section explains how to reformat a drive from the Windows XP installation CD. This can be used when installing a fresh copy of Windows onto a computer. Here it is especially important to backup all of your important information because upon formatting you will lose EVERYTHING that used to be on the drive. This includes all applications and device drivers, so you must back up everything you can.
    Step2Insert your Windows XP installation disc into your CD drive (Home or Pro--it does not matter).
    Step3Now as you computer boots a little more it will say “Press any key to boot from CD..” press a key to do so.
    Step4The CD will load up a blue screen and then spend a while loading files it needs. When it is finished it will list a few options, mainly “Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.” Press Enter or Return.
    Step5Now you will be at a screen to select where to install Windows to. This is where you can delete old partitions and format drives. The box in the bottom half of the screen shows all your drives and the partitions that exist on them. Use the Up and Down arrow keys to highlight your “C:” partition and press the 'D' key (if all that shows up is “Unpartitioned space” and you have no C: or D: partitions, skip this step). On the next screen press the 'L' key to finalize deleting the partition.
    Step6Now you are back on the screen to choose where to install Windows. The box on the lower half of the screen should no longer show a partition but simply have an entry “Unpartitioned space xxxxxMB.” Select this with the arrow keys and press the 'C' key to create a partition on the drive. The next screen tells you the minimum and maximum sizes the partition can be and lets you pick the size. The default size is the maximum, but double check that the number entered is the maximum and hit enter.
    Step7Now you will again be back at the choose where to install Windows screen. But this time you will have a partition that looks something like this “C: Partition1 [New (Raw)]xxxxxxMB.” Highlight this entry and press enter.
    Step8The next screen lets you choose which file system to format the drive with. Choose NTFS as it is faster and more secure. If the drive is brand new and has never been used before then use one of the options that ends in “(Quick).” Or, choose one of the lower down options. Use the arrow keys to select the proper one and press Enter or Return.
    Step9From here you are all set and the installation of Windows will proceed starting with a format of your drive. This will take a while (over half an hour) so you can take a little break.

Rek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

What disk are you using?

And Hp disk, I've tried a Xp Media center disk too.

If you want the safe mode, hold F8 down ( or tap F8 ) as you boot.  A menu will appear and you may choose the safe mode with a command prompt.
      The problem isn't with booting it's with booting from the disk drive. I can get into windows fine but I want to reformat.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html
      @billrich  I can't boot from the disk, so step 3 doesn't happen to me.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread22028.html
      @billrich It's a hp, I tried it anyways and it just enters bios.

: [

billrich

Is the HP disk the XP OS installation disk?
      The XP OS installation disk  should automatically present a menu of options.

If you can reach the command prompt , do an  E: ( or the drive where the disk is? ). Do a dir /w  and many options will be available. See below

C:\>E:

E:\>dir /w
       Volume in drive E is VRMHCCP_EN
       Volume Serial Number is 7875-93FF

Directory of E:\

AUTORUN.INF   [DOCS]        [DOTNETFX]    [I386]        README.HTM    SETUP.EXE     SETUPXP.HTM
      [SUPPORT]     [VALUEADD]    WIN51         WIN51IC       WIN51IC.SP2
                     7 File(s)      1,435,049 bytes
                     5 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

E:\>

The following two sites might help:

http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

http://www.whitecanyon.com/reformat-hard-drive-window-xp.php
      « Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:23:36 PM by billrich »

billrich

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000186.htm
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,78269.0.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000647.htm

"Before following the below steps see document CH000186 for a checklist of things to consider before erasing the computer and starting over.
      The standard Microsoft Windows XP CD is bootable. Therefore start by placing the Windows XP CD in your computer and reboot.
      As computer boots you will be prompted to press any key to boot from CD, at this time  press any key. If you do not get this prompt or are unable to boot from the CD please refer to document CH000217 for information on how to boot from a CD.
      When the Windows XP setup menu appears press ENTER to continue the setup.
      Next, the Windows XP licensing agreement will open, if you agree to this agreement press F8.
      Next, Windows will give you the option to repair Windows XP or to install a fresh copy if Windows XP is already installed on the computer. If you're wanting to install a new copy of Windows XP press ESC.
      Next, the partition setup will appear, it is recommended that if a partition already exists and you do not plan on having multiple operating systems on the computer that you delete the existing partition before continuing the setup. You will know if a partition exists if you see anything other then "Unpartitioned space".

To delete the partition:
      on the drive that you press D and ENTER then press L to delete the partition and then press ENTER and then if you are aware that this will delete all information on the partition.

Note: If you have multiple partitions, we suggest deleting all partitions unless you plan on using these partitions. Deleting each of the other partitions can be done using the same above steps.

To create the partition:
      Select the unpartitioned space you wish to create a partition on and press C, specify the size of the partition in MB, by default this will have the full amount of the drive and press ENTER."

Once you have a partition ready to have Windows XP installed on it press ENTER to install.
      Next you will need to select whether the drive will use FAT or NTFS. We suggest NTFS for users who are not sure which file system they wish to use.
      After selecting the file system and pressing enter the computer will start formatting the drive. Depending on how big the partition is will determine the length of time the format will take.
      After the format Windows will begin installing the files and then take you through a wizard to continue with the remainder of the setup.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:16:12 PM by billrich »

billrich

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/2973

Q:
      I've been told that I need to reformat my hard drive, but I'm not sure where to start. What are the basic steps for reformatting a computer?

A:
      What a great question! Anyone who uses a computer on a regular basis will come across this at one point or another, so it's good to know the basic details about getting the job done. When we use our computers, we expect everything to run smoothly and properly, but sometimes that's just not the case, now is it? Unfortunately, the time comes when we need to start over fresh with our PCs and that's where reformatting comes into play.

When you reformat, you usually start with your hard drive. That is where most of your information lies, so if you wipe the slate clean with that, your computer will be like brand new. Some people even do this on a regular basis, which isn't a bad idea, but it's not necessary. Also, some newer computers come with a boot disk or installation CD that is intended to help with the reformat process. They are specially made to help bring your computer back to the shape it was in when you first bought it. Reformatting is the best choice if you're having trouble with programs crashing without any explanation or if you've just run out of troubleshooting ideas.

There are five steps in the reformatting process and I will go over the very basics of them for you right now. So, if your computer is in need of a fresh start, listen up!

1.) The first thing you need to do is back up your files. Not only should you back up your data files, but any program files, application files, software pieces, your favorites, e-mails, etc. Back up anything you want saved and will use at a later time. If you don't think you'll need certain files, get rid of them before you start. There's no use backing up items you won't need. Just go through and do a quick clean up and then back up what you have left. Read here for some additional help with this.

2.) The next thing you should do is create a boot disk (if your computer didn't come with one, as I mentioned above). Either make a bootable floppy disk or a CD; whichever will work best for your computer. When you're done, test it to make sure it's going to work for you. You'll want to be sure of this before you move on to the next step. If you're not sure what a bootable disk is, look above in today's quick tip for a definition.

3.) Now, the process gets a little more involved. The third step is to partition and reformat your hard drive. Partitioning is separating your hard drive into different areas, so you can store your information in a more reasonable matter. Reformatting the hard drive basically clears off any existing data (hence, the back up). This process wipes everything from each partition that you created and it then prepares it to receive new information. Read here for some more help with this.

4.) Okay, the hardest part is over and once you get past this step, you're home free! The next thing you need to do is just reinstall everything. The first thing to reinstall is your operating system. You should have an installation CD that came with your computer that you can use to do this. You can then put all of your files, programs, etc. back on your PC. Once you have all of that done, you can start finding your favorite Web sites again and get back to normal.

5.) Now, this is the easiest step, I promise! All of you have to do from here on out is enjoy your new hard drive! With everything restored and freshly put in place, you can use your computer with the freedom you had when you brought it home for the first time. You should now be able to use all of your programs with ease and with no hold ups. Now, doesn't that sound wonderful?!

I know I only went over the basic instructions on what to do and you still may not know how to go about doing everything, but there are several helpful tutorials available on the Internet to give you additional help if you need it. Just do a search on your favorite search engine and you'll be all set. Reformatting is a tedious procedure, but when you're done, you'll be glad you took the time to do it!

~ Erin

Want to comment on this tip? Click here! We'd love to hear from you!

billrich

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live-how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

What you'll need:
      A Windows XP machine in dire need of a fresh start
      (Without any crucial, un-backedup data on it)
      A Windows XP installation CD with a valid Product Key
      (Preferably the disc that shipped with the computer originally, in which case the Product Key won't be obviously listed)
      The CDs and serial numbers of all the software you need to install on your fresh "new" machine
      Hardware driver discs that shipped with the PC and any components you added on
      (Optional, but VERY strongly recommended)
      Another 'net-connected computer of any OS persuasion with a CD burner, thumb drive, or other removable disk
      (Optional, but strongly recommended, for looking up stuff and downloading drivers in case of emergency)
      One full day to get your PC fully functioning again.

Let's get started.

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live-how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

Rek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Is the HP disk the XP OS installation disk?
        The XP OS installation disk  should automatically present a menu of options.

If you can reach the command prompt , do an  E: ( or the drive where the disk is? ). Do a dir /w  and many options will be available. See below

C:\>E:

E:\>dir /w
         Volume in drive E is VRMHCCP_EN
         Volume Serial Number is 7875-93FF

Directory of E:\

AUTORUN.INF   [DOCS]        [DOTNETFX]    [I386]        README.HTM    SETUP.EXE     SETUPXP.HTM
        [SUPPORT]     [VALUEADD]    WIN51         WIN51IC       WIN51IC.SP2
                       7 File(s)      1,435,049 bytes
                       5 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

E:\>

The following two sites might help:

http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

http://www.whitecanyon.com/reformat-hard-drive-window-xp.php

So I checked E: on cmd [It is the disk drive in my case] and it states

"The volume does not contain a recognized file system
        Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted"

If I click on the drive in windows explorer, it shows no data and if I check properties it says "0 free 0 used" under space

I tried other disk's on it, like one of my sisters geometry tutor disk and the drive recognizes it fine. If I take the same Hp disk and stick it into my Vaio it recognizes it as the xp disk immediately showing me the installation window.

At this point I can be pretty certain that something on that computer is preventing me from even reading the disk, I just have no idea how to fix this problem.

billrich

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1827290&lang=en

Call for support
        Talk to someone who can guide you to the solutions you need now.
        »  Call technical support after you buy 

E-mail support
        Consult with our experts by putting your thoughts or questions in an email.
        »  E-mail technical support after you buy

1)  Make a new  Boot disk
        2) Reformat from the new Boot disk
        3) Have HP or Microsoft sent a New XP OS installation Disk
        4) Install  Windows XP

Dias de verano

when u see that blue "DELL" word, you press Ctrl + F11

Why would he see 'that blue "DELL" word' (  ::) ) when he clearly stated:

Quote from: The OP
        I have an HP Pavilion a1310

There is a lot of HALF-*censored* advice on here.

Rek, your disk may be scratched or your drive may be faulty. Try to get a replacement disk from HP. If this does not work, consider replacing the CD drive.

Rek

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Why would he see 'that blue "DELL" word' (  ::) ) when he clearly stated:

There is a lot of HALF-<censored> advice on here.

Rek, your disk may be scratched or your drive may be faulty. Try to get a replacement disk from HP. If this does not work, consider replacing the CD drive.

Disk doesn't have a scratch on it not even a scuff, and I've tried two A Hp installation disk and a Media center installation disk same out come with both. : [

billrich

Dias de verano wrote:

"There is a lot of HALF advice on here."

Bill's response:

Thanks for the kind words.  All is well now that Dias de verano has returned.

Dias de verano solution: "You have a scratched  Disk"   

Brilliant deduction.

Dias de verano has a PHD in computer science and 30 years experience.

We are privileged to have Dias de verano's vast knowledge available.

"You have a scratched  Disk?"  Ha! Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!