Audacity is an open-source software program that allows users to record sound, as well as edit sound clips. The program is available for the Windows, macOS and Linux operating systems. The software is free and open to use under the GPL (General Public License).
Audacity has many features including:
- Record live audio, as well as audio playback on a computer.
- Convert cassette tapes and records to MP3 or audio CD.
- Edit various audio file formats, like WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3.
- Take multiple sound files and copy, cut, mix, or splice them together.
- Change the pitch or speed of an audio recording.