Alternatively known as a facsimile, telecopying, or telefacsimile, a fax is a transmission of graphics or text over the phone line. The picture shows an example of what the traditional fax machine may look like from Brother.
- Fax broadcast - Sending a single fax document to several people at once.
- Fax-on-demand - System that can be set up to request a fax using a touch tone phone. Also, known as fax retrieval.
- Fax/Modem - Communication device that allows a PC to fax documents and receive fax documents.
- Fax mode - Mode that allows faxmodem to send and receive files in a facsimile format.
- Fax server - A computer dedicated to sending and receiving faxes for a group of networked computers.
Should "fax" be written in all uppercase?
Is a Fax machine considered an input or output device?
A fax machine can be considered both. When used to scan in a document and send it to another fax machine, it is an input device. When used to receive a fax from another user, it is considered an output device.