Alternatively referred to as a facsimile, telecopying, or telefacsimile, a fax is a transmission of graphics or text over the phone line. The picture shows an example of what the traditional fax machine may look like from Brother.
- Fax broadcast - Sending a single fax document to several people at once.
- Fax-on-demand - System that can be set up to request a fax using a touch tone phone. Also, known as fax retrieval.
- Fax/Modem - Communication device that allows a PC to fax documents and receive fax documents.
- Fax mode - Mode that allows faxmodem to send and receive files in a facsimile format.
- Fax server - A computer dedicated to sending and receiving faxes for a group of networked computers.
Should "fax" be written in all uppercase?
No. Fax is an abbreviation for "facsimile" and is not an acronym. It should only be capitalized if it's the first word of a sentence. The word "fax" can also be used as an adjective, noun, or a verb.
Is a Fax machine considered an input or output device?
A fax machine can be considered both. When used to scan in a document and send it to another fax machine, it is an input device. When used to receive a fax from another user, it is considered an output device.