Parent and child
A parent and child may refer to any of the following:
1. In general, a parent is a father or mother to a child.
- Top 10 terms every parent of teenagers should know.
- Protecting children from harmful material and people on the Internet.
2. With a directory, a parent directory is a directory that contains the current directory. For example, in the below MS-DOS path, the "Windows" directory is the parent directory of the "System32" directory and C:\ is the root directory.
3. When referring to a computer processes, a child is a sub process of the main parent process. It is common for the parent process to remain active or open until the child process is completed.