Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: John William Mauchly
Born: August 30, 1907 in Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Death: January 8, 1980 (Age: 73)
Computer related contributions
- American physicist who, along with J. Presper Eckert, designed ENIAC, the first general purpose electronic digital computer, as well as EDVAC, BINAC and UNIVAC I, the first commercial computer made in the United States.
- Co-founded Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation (EMCC).
- Created fundamental computer concepts including programming languages, stored program, and subroutines.
- Proposed Short code the first high-level programming language.
Honors and awards
- National Inventors Hall of Fame (2002)
- Life member of the Franklin Institute
- Elected a Fellow of the IRE (1957)