Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Michael Faraday
Born: September 22, 1791, in Newington Butts, England
Death: August 25, 1867 (Age: 75)
- English scientist who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry.
- His main discoveries include those of electromagnetic induction, diamagnetism, and electrolysis.
- His invention of electromagnetic rotary devices was the foundation of electric motor technology. It was largely due to his efforts that electricity became practical for use in technology.
Honors and awards
- The SI unit of capacitance, the Farad, is named in his honor.
- Faraday was ranked number 22 in the BBC's list of the 100 Greatest Britons following a UK-wide vote (2002).
- Streets named for Faraday can be found in many British cities.