Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NEED HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE  (Read 12708 times)

wendykukulski

NEED HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE
« on: July 21, 2004, 10:57:59 AM »
HI  I just got my computer out of storage after being in there for approx. 8 months.  I have a compaq Presario computer.  I went to hook everything up last night.  Once that was done I turned it on.  The monitor was black and never loaded.  The computer turned on and I could atleast hear the fan running.  I also have an older computer which I tried hooking the monitor up to my compaq but the monitor did the same thing...nothing.  However, when I unplugged both monitors from the cpu they lit up.  I am wondering if it is just a video card or if there could be more damage to the cpu.  I don't want to spend money on a video card just to find out that everything in the machine is ruined and I need to buy another computer.  Please!!! Anyone have suggestions for me???

wendykukulski

Re: NEED HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 11:00:30 AM »
Hi it's me again.  I also hooked my monitor up to the old computer and it worked fine.  So I know that any problems lie within the CPU.  But since I can just hear the fan running I'm not sure if the computer will even work once I buy a video card.  Also, if I buy a video card what one would you recommend...remember I'm on a budget.  but the one game I really like to play is The sims with all the expansion packs.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 11:56:09 AM »
You cannot connect a monitor to a CPU. A CPU is an abbreviation of Central Processing Unit. - The monitor is connected to the videocard, which is in turn installed onto the mainboard which in turn processes information by accessing the Central Processing Unit.

I also have an older computer which I tried hooking the monitor up to my compaq but the monitor did the same thing...nothing.

I assume that, from what you are saying, you have tried your Compaq monitor on an older computer and it still malfunctioned? If that is so, I suggest you connect the monitor beloning to the older computer to your Compaq and see what the results are

Videocards in the range you are looking for are very cheap.

These links may be of relevance:

Monitor Help

Computer Video Card Support and Help

Video  card buying tips
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 12:02:07 PM by Raptor »

wendykukulski

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »
I assume that, from what you are saying, you have tried your Compaq monitor on an older computer and it still malfunctioned? If that is so, I suggest you connect the monitor beloning to the older computer to your Compaq and see what the results are

No I hooked my monitor to my compaq computer then I also hooked another monitor to my compaq computer.  Neither monitor worked.  Then I hooked my monitor to the old computer and it finally worked.  So I know the problem is in my computer somewhere.  I just don't want to buy a video card if it is really the whole computer.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 01:41:19 PM »
What have you done before this problem occured?

You will not have to replace your *entire* computer.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 03:23:08 PM »
What ever monitor you connected to a pc is should work even if you only get 16 colours?vga springs to mind providing the mobo etc is ok ...maybe the  the cmos battery has had it?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 03:23:58 PM by merlin_2 »

wendykukulski

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:58:45 AM »
Sorry I know enough about computers to do the basic stuff.  But could you tell me what mobo is?  Also, the cmos battery...is that the battery on the motherboard that looks like a watch battery?

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 06:01:46 AM »
But could you tell me what mobo is?  Also, the cmos battery...is that the battery on the motherboard that looks like a watch battery?

Mobo is an abbreviation for motherboard/mainboard

You are correct, the CMOS battery may look like a watch battery. Refer to this article in order to determine if you are correct:

Computer CMOS Information

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 06:08:03 AM »
You have not answered this question:

What have you done before this problem occured?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 06:08:20 AM by Raptor »

wendykukulski

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 09:10:08 AM »
What did I do.  Well like I said my computer was in storage for 8 months.  I got it home let it sit in the house for about 2 days then once I found all the cords and keyboard,mouse, etc...I hooked it up and when I turned it on that is what I got...nothing

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 12:17:08 PM »
I assume you have checked to see if the cables are properly connected and none are missing?

wendykukulski

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 01:39:18 PM »
yes.  As I have said my monitor works fine connected to the older pc which i hooked up the exact same way.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 01:51:02 PM »
I suggest you try another videocard.

wendykukulski

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 06:57:07 AM »
Thank you for your help.  I will be going to Best Buy this weekend to pick up a Video Card.  I'll let you know as soon as I know if it works.  I am just praying that it's nothing more cuz I'm broke and cheap!  LOL

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 07:02:46 AM »
The Sims will run on most videocards. I suggest you buy a 32MB videocard and donot go above 50 Euros. (60-65 Dollars)

Unless you plan on playing more advanced games I suggest you ask the salesperson for advice.