Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will NOT Bootup!  (Read 41431 times)

stevejohnson1958

Re: Will NOT Bootup!
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »
Not at this point...since we're just checking the drive's integrity...we're not making any changes at the moment.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2008, 04:23:34 PM »
    Ok, it says it didn't find any problems.  Do you still need me to post it?
    If so, how?  I'm not able to save it and I can't post a picture of it because it always says it is too big to post.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2008, 04:34:35 PM »
    No problem...

Are you in your E drive or C drive at the moment?  If you're in the E drive, change the boot sequence to boot from C...then boot from C...do you still get error messages?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2008, 04:36:04 PM »
      The last time I booted up I got the message.

I am in C drive. I figured it would be easier to run the sweeps in here.
      Want me to shut down and reboot??

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2008, 04:40:54 PM »
      If you're still in the C drive...reboot and post any errors...

BTW...as Broni stated...if you have access to the drive...which it appears you do...you may want to start backing up those files and folders that are important to you...because I'll be very honest with you...

To me...it's looking more and more like you may need to either try another repair of the operating system...or to completely wipe the drive and start fresh.  However, before you do this...let's wait and see what Broni reports.

I know you're tired...so am I.  I want to see this finished as much as you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #125 on: June 03, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
      I think, we need to slow down.
      We can't try fixing several issues at the same time. I'll bring more confusion, then good.
      I just got home, going through my huge mail, so I'll be slow with replying.
      My main question, which I asked before, and it wasn't answered is: why not to retrieve all data from C, and format it?
      I can see there are several serious issues there. Surely, there is highly possible to fix them, one at a time, but is it worth to do it (time-wise)?
      Error Loading C:WINDOWS\system32\jqwmwhxw.dll  Module could not be found.
      The above error is just caused by registry entry calling for non-existing file (jqwmwhxw.dll - some malware, removed through cleaning), and it can be easily fixed with HJT.
      I need clear answer from woodworks...which way do we want to go?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »
        Hey there Broni

Ok, here is where we are at.
        I shut down andl it wouldn't shut down.  Gee, I couldn't get it to start, now I can't get it to stop.  What I think is happening is it has updates to install and as I shut it down it attempts to install but then it locks up and I have to hit reset button. 

As far as the error at boot up, I shut down and restarted twice and no error message.

Thanks Saviour.

Broni, as far as I can tell at this point, I only have two problems.  May be more, I just know of two at this time.

#1. It won't install updates.
        #2. It doesn't have task manager.  I have fixed this before, but I don't remember how to any more. 

I would like to go ahead and try to finish fixing this since we have all gone this far with it.  I already posted awhile ago that I had moved what I believe to be my files from C to my external drive.  There are many many more to move, but I don't think that there are any that I can't replace.  I think I have all those moved. 

But I would like to format only as a last resort if you guys are willing to help me through this.  You've stuck with me this far and long, I would like to finish it, IF possible.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »
          Oh and I forgot:

#3 When I did the hijack this, it came up with an error message.  I already posted it a few back if you want to see what I said.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #128 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
          Leave updates alone for now. Other issues have to be solved, first.
          We have to make sure computer is clean - this is priority.
          You posted HJT log before. Now, you say, it won't run. Explain.
          What about Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes?
          Task Manager:
          - http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/06/28/restore-task-manager-regedit-and-folder-options-disabled-by-virus/
          - http://www.pchell.com/support/taskmanagerdisabled.shtml
          - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
            I'll post this and then check out the links you gave.

Hjt runs, but at the end is when the error message comes up.  To the best of my knowledge, it is running and finishing and I am able to save the log.  I don't know why the or what the error means. 
            I've run both the malware and the super and they are coming up clean at this time.  That is why I say that to the best of my knowledge there are only the other three problems.  I can't guantee that, but that is what I think.  That is why I don't understand why it won't update.  I thought it may be some spyware or malware or something. But as I said, as of the last sweeps they came up clean.  Also, as I said earlier, I was not able to d/l the updates that the trend scan said I needed.  I don't know what causes that, or if it is a concern at this time.  All I'm doing, is letting you know what I have on this end.  Your the expert and you decide what to fix first and all that.  I'm just following you.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #130 on: June 03, 2008, 05:49:11 PM »
            Updates, out - for now. Task Manager tools, I posted links to, you may download, but don't run them, yet.
            Uninstall HJT, download fresh copy, install, rename hijackthis.exe to woodworks.exe. Run it.
            Post new HJT log, and exact error message, if still comes up.
            Do NOT do anything else. Just be patient.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »
              Ok, Broni

Here's the deal.   I'm just too darn tired to keep this up tonight.  I have to get away for this for awhile. 

Here is where I'm at.  I went to uninstall hjt and I can't find it.  I went to add/remove and it's there but when I clicked on it to remove it, it said it wasn't there and do I want to remove the name from the list.  So I don't know how to uninstall it.  I did a search and it is in recycle bin and on the E drive and in documents & settings, but I can't seem to fine where it is so I can click on the uninstall.  I have all kinds of short cuts to make it run, but that's about it.  I can't find the actuall file.  Any suggestions?

I couldn't find anything to actually d/l at the links you gave me, (I just don't quite understand what I'm to d/l), so I just did what the last one said and just fixed it.  I know, you said don't fix it yet.  I'm just about to fall out of my chair from lack of sleep.  Please be kind enough to post what you would like me to do next and I will just have to get back to it tommorow.  I need to get up early in the morning and I have another looong day ahead of me, so I really need to get some rest.  So please bare with me for the time being.  If you can tell me how to uninstall hjt, then I can do that and install the new one.  I can at least have that ready for you tomorrow. 

Thank you for understanding.
              Btw,  when you say to rename .exe to woodworks.exe, do you mean the whole thing, or do I need to open it up and just rename that part of it?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
                I'm sorry, I keep forgetting to ask questions.  Is it ok to just delete all the things that say hjt?  will that mess it up or will that in some way uninstall it?

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #133 on: June 03, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
                Do I understand, that Task Manager works now?

Don't worry about existing HJT. You may delete any desktop shortcuts, though.
                Download fresh copy from here:
                http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
                Click on Download HijackThis Installer
                Install. After installation, right click on hijackthis.exe, click Rename, and type in woodworks.exe, instead.

Post the log whenever you're ready, even tomorrow.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »
                  Hey Broni  I was waiting for your reply.  I'm going to get off here in a few. First I want to give you this error that comes up when I hjt.

Error Details:
                  An unexpected error has occured at procedure: ModMain_StartScan()
                  Error #6 - Overflow

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
                  MSIE version: 7.0.5730.13
                  HijackThis version 2.0.2

I just did it again and it came up with the same error

I am going to go d/l the new one and run a log and post that and then get off here.

Thank you