Change security level in Microsoft Office applications
Updated: 11/13/2018 by Computer Hope
To change the security in any Microsoft Office 2000 product follow the steps below.
- Open Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, or Word.
- Click Tools.
- Click Macros.
- Click Security.
- Select the Security level for that application. It is important to realize that changing the security in one of these programs will not effect any of the other applications. In other words, if you change Microsoft Excel's security from "high" to "Medium," and Microsoft Word is set to "high," it will remain at "high."
Below is the description Microsoft gives for each of the security levels.
- High - High. Only signed macros from trusted sources will be allowed to run. Unsigned macros are automatically disabled.
- Medium - Medium. You can choose whether or not to run potentially unsafe macros.
- Low - Low (not recommended). You are not protected from potentially unsafe macros. Use this setting only if you have virus scanning software installed, or you are sure all documents you open are safe.