How to tell if a Mac has an Intel or PowerPC processor
Updated: 01/24/2018 by Computer Hope
The fastest way to find out which brand of CPU your Mac is utilizing is to check the "About This Mac" window. To proceed, follow the instructions the below section.
Viewing the About This Mac window
- Locate the Finder icon in the Dock.
- Click the Finder icon so the program is active.
- From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. You should see a window similar to the image on the right.
- The processor your machine uses is listed next to the Processor. In the example, this Mac is using an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
- See our Apple Macintosh definition for further information and related links.
- My computer is running slow, what steps can I do to fix it?
- How did Apple get its name?
- CPU help and support.
- Apple help and support.