How many pictures can I store on a CD or DVD?
A standard CD has a storage capacity of 700 MB, a single-sided DVD has a storage capacity of 4.7 GB, and a single-sided Blu-ray disc has a storage capacity of 25 GB. The number of pictures you can store on a CD or DVD depends on the file size of each picture, which increases as picture resolution increases. File sizes will differ depending on the settings of the camera that took them. However, the table below has some good estimates:
|Size of File||Approximate Pictures
These estimates are the maximum picture counts per CD or DVD. Actual counts may be less than these estimates, due to disc formatting.
- What program can I use to view, edit, or create images?
- Where to post my pictures, movies, or other files online for free.
- What services can I use to store and print my digital images?
- How many MP3s or photos can I put on my flash drive?
- How much is 1 byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, etc.?
- See our CD and DVD definitions for further information and related links.
- Image help and support.