How to remove an Internet browser toolbar
When installing a new free program or updating an old program, you may miss the option to not install a browser toolbar. When this happens, you can still uninstall the browser toolbar by following the steps below.
If the toolbar is legitimate, you can uninstall the toolbar like any Windows program.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Toolbars can be removed from Internet Explorer by following the steps below.
- Click Tools. If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key to open the File menu and then click Tools.
- In the Tools menu, click Manage Add-ons.
- In Manage add-ons, under the Toolbars and Extensions section, select the toolbar you want to disable and then click the Disable button.
Toolbars and add-ons can be removed from Mozilla Firefox by following the steps below.
Remove any unrecognized add-ons
- Click the hamburger menu icon and click Add-ons.
- Click Extensions and highlight the toolbar or any other Extension you do not recognize.
- Click the Remove button.
Disable the toolbar
- Press the Alt key on the keyboard to get the File menu.
- Click View and then Toolbars.
- Uncheck any Toolbar you do not want to be shown.
If the above steps have not helped, you can refresh Firefox to restore default settings by following the steps below.
- Click the hamburger menu icon and click the question mark (help) icon.
- In the Firefox help menu, click the Refresh button.
Toolbars and add-ons can be removed from Google Chrome by following the steps below.
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Extensions and remove any toolbar or other extensions you do not recognize.
If the above steps cannot disable the toolbar and the program is not listed in the Windows uninstall programs, it is likely that your browser has been hijacked.
- My web browser has been hijacked.
- How to display the File, Edit, View menu in Internet Explorer.
- See our toolbar definition for further information and related links.
- Internet browser help and support.