How to find files used with Windows computer drivers
Drivers for hardware are often stored in the Windows System32 folder, but if you need to know what driver files are used for a particular hardware device, follow the steps below.
- Open the Windows Device Manager.
- Expand the hardware section for the device you need to find the driver files.
- Right-click on the hardware device name and select Properties from the pop-up menu.
- In the device properties window, click on the Driver tab.
- On the Driver tab, click the Driver Details button.
In the example Driver File Details window above, you can see a complete list of all driver related files for the video card in the computer, as well as the full path to those files.
With the driver file details, you can know if a hardware device is using a .dll file or another file as its driver instructions. The driver file details can also help determine if an error you may be experiencing with a file is related to that hardware device.
- How to move drivers from one computer to another computer.
- See the driver definition for further information and related links.
- Computer drivers and driver help and support.