Text cursor

Updated: 04/01/2018 by Computer Hope
Text cursor

Alternatively referred to as a caret, a cursor or text cursor is a blinking horizontal or vertical line ( blinking cursor ) that indicates where new text starts when you begin to type. For example, below is an empty text box, clicking in this box gives you a text cursor to indicate you can start typing.


In text editors and word processors, the text cursor is also referred to as an i-cursor.


If your text cursor is a block or rectangle instead of an I-beam, press the Insert key.

Text cursor example

As you start to type, the text cursor stays at the end of the line. Pressing the left arrow key moves the cursor to the left and allows you to insert text at the text cursor's position. You can also click with the mouse where you want the text cursor to appear in text that already exists.

Cursor, I-beam, Insert mode, Software terms, Text