Name: Charles Antony Richard Hoare
Born: January 11, 1934, in Colombo, Sri Lanka
- British computer scientist best known for developing the Quicksort algorithm. Developed a Hoare Logic, a formal system of verifying program correctness, and CSP (Communicating Sequential Processes), a formal language for describing concurrent processes. Oversaw the development of the occam programming language.
- Structured Programming (1972).
- Communicating Sequential Processes (1985).
- Mechanised Reasoning and Hardware Design (1992).
- Unifying Theories of Programming (1998).
Honors and awards
"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult."