Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Jay Wright Forrester
Born: July 14, 1918, Anselmo, Nebraska, USA
Death: November 16, 2016 (Age: 98)
Computer related contributions
- Computer engineer and systems scientist known as the founder of System Dynamics, which is the simulation of interactions between objects in dynamic systems.
- In 1944, Forrester began development of an advanced aircraft flight simulator. This simulator evolved to become the Whirlwind digital computer, which was used for the experimental development of military combat systems.
- While helping to develop Whirlwind came up with the idea of using magnetic core RAM.
- World Dynamics. Wright-Allen Press (1971)
- Principles of Systems, 2nd ed. Pegasus Communications (1968)
Honors and awards
- IEEE Medal of Honor
- Howard N. Potts Medal