Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Martin Cooper
Born: December 26, 1928
Computer related contributions
- Led the team at Motorola that developed the handheld mobile phone, the early cell phone.
- Made the first cell phone call on April 3, 1973.
- Co-founded Cellular Business Systems, Inc. (CBSI).
- In 1992 founded ArrayComm.
- Founded GreatCall, maker of Jitterbug.
Honors and awards
- Member of Mensa.
- Received the Wharton Infosys Business Transformation Award in 1995.
- Received American Computer Museum’s George R. Stibitz Computer and Communications Pioneer Award in 2002.
- In 2009 received the Prince of Asturias Award for scientific and technical research.
- In February 2010, Cooper was elected to the National Academy of Engineering.