Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Vilhelm Friman Koren Bjerknes
Born: March 14, 1862, in Christiania, Norway
Death: April 9, 1951 (Age: 89)
- Norwegian physicist and meteorologist.
- Helped found the modern practice of weather forecasting.
- Application of Line Integral Theorems to the Hydrodynamics of Terrestrial and Cosmic Vortices (1937).
- Lectures on physical hydrodynamics (1924).
- Dynamic Meteorology and Hydrography (1911).
- Fields of Force: A course of lectures in mathematical physics, etc (1906).
- The Dynamic Principle of Circulatory Movements in the Atmosphere (1900).
Honors and awards
- Royal Society Fellow (1936).
- Elected a member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (1936).
- Elected a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (1905).
- Crater Bjerknes on the Moon and Mars are named in his honor.