How can I change how files are displayed in Windows Explorer?
- Open My Computer or Explorer.
- Click View at the top of the window.
- Select Icons, Large Icons, Small Icons, List, Details, Tiles, or Thumbnails to change to the view you wish to see. We recommend "Details" for users not sure what to choose. Below is additional information about each of these views. Keep in mind each version of Windows is different, and all of the below views are not available in all versions of Windows. If you do not see one of the below listed under view, your version of Windows does not support that view.
- Details - Our recommended view. Details all the files in an easy to read format and also displays the size, type, and date modified in columns.
- Large Icons and Tiles - Displays large icons of the files and folders with their names. Windows XP named this Titles. In all previous versions of Windows, this is named Large Icons.
- Small Icons, Icons, and List - Displays small icons of the files and folders with their names. Windows XP named this Icons. In all previous versions of Windows this is named Small Icons.
- Thumbnails - Displays large pictures of each of the files and folders in the directory. If the file is an image, movie, or other file that supports auto preview, you will see a picture of the file without even opening it. This is great for a directory containing photos.